First 4 months as a T2

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I wanted to share my first 4 months as a Type 2 – apologies for the long post - I have learned so much from everyone on here – but I do want to thank especially @daisy1, @Brunneria and @bulkbiker – I have gained such valuable education and insight from your posts on here – so thank you – I was lost before finding this forum.

Diagnosed 29th July this year – family history of Type 2 but still an immense shock – I am 49 year old male – struggled with my weight most of my adult life – tried (and failed) loads of times to lose weight.

Came out the doctors and called my partner and I cried with the shock.

My first set of labs – Hba1C = 69 with a fasting blood level of 11 – so confirmed and prescribed 2X Metformin per day and told to wait for DN appointment in a few weeks and to expect an appointment for eye scan and nutritionist to come through, then pretty much left to find out for myself what I was dealing with.

Cut a long story short – I found this site, and WOW, did I get my eyes opened! – I have pretty much had to Un-learn everything I thought I knew about eating ‘healthy’. I moved very quickly into LCHF eating (it’s not a diet to me, it how things are now for me, the days of carefree eating and drinking are gone). Got very interested in the work of Tim Noakes, Jason Fung etc and I do admit as an Engineer, embracing a chemical engineering challenge with my own body. I got myself a meter (self-funded), and started the journey –

Anyway – I wanted to share the results:

After the first 8 weeks on LCHF my GP agreed for me to stop taking the Metformin as the data I took in to her from my meter results were showing real improvements, so not taken any medication since the end of September.

As of today (9th December) I have lost 19 kgs (approx. 3 stone) in weight , and 6 inches off my waist ( 40 to 34 )

Just had my Hbac1 results this morning – it’s now at 38 from the original 69 at diagnosis –

I have been inspired by many people on here- so thank you all so much for contributing to such a fantastic knowledge base.

Reactions: Terryrhino

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Complete winner.. very well done indeed.
Such great results in a short time. An inspiration.
And it was all your work...

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
@Element137 - well done! That's an amazing turnaround!

This website is truly amazing!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is so wonderful! Well done! And yes, I agree with bulkbiker, it is YOUR hard work that has given you such fantastic results.

Hope you are enjoying your new lifestyle and food options?

covknit

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Wow. Fantastic news and so insiring. I needed encourahement today with the xmas catering beginning to stress me. I logged on in order to research molasses of all things (I have heard the word before but thats it). Diagnosed 20 September supposed to wait until March for follow up. Lost a stone and hubby has to put new holes in my belts. Fortunately being retired and a gardener means I can get away with clown trousers and be considered only slightly more eccentric than before. I have never dieted before so I cannot understand why people try any regime other than Low carb. Keep up the good ifestyle.

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
That is so wonderful! Well done! And yes, I agree with bulkbiker, it is YOUR hard work that has given you such fantastic results.

Hope you are enjoying your new lifestyle and food options?
I have never felt fitter in my adult life - I enjoy LCHF food and only really miss beer ! - my policy on alcohol now is quality over quantity - so Saturday night treat has become a one or two glasses of Red Wine - this week however - will be champers !

Reactions: kokhongw

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just had my Hbac1 results this morning – it’s now at 38 from the original 69 at diagnosis

That is absolutely brilliant. Very well done. If I hadn't found this site and read Bernstein and Jenny Rhule, I would still be following NHS diet advice, and gradually killing myself.

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@Element137 as much as I agree with the comments of your great results being all you work I think you're like me in the fact you would of found it so much harder without the support and advice of the specific members you mentioned I'm weak willed and just reading threads on here helps me along my path to hopefully getting excellent results like yours
Well done you and well done the forum

Element137

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@Element137 as much as I agree with the comments of your great results being all you work I think you're like me in the fact you would of found it so much harder without the support and advice of the specific members you mentioned I'm weak willed and just reading threads on here helps me along my path to hopefully getting excellent results like yours
Well done you and well done the forum
I could not have done it without this forum - the first two weeks after being diagnosed I kept a food diary - and when I look at it now I cringe - but I knew no better - within days of switching into LCHF, and starting to eliminate foods based on meter results my levels started to improve - also - I have been fascinated by the science of managing this condition - for the education alone this site is invaluable - but the moral support of reading other people's experience has been incredible - I think the standard advice ( or lack of) dished out to newly diagnosed T2's is a scandal - what I have learned through this site has been like a light switch going reference what healthy nutrition actually looks like.

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Another starfish back into the sea...