Breeze 2 - equivalent replacement?

rmurphy195

I've deleted my post from the other day about this meter, 'cos I've found the answer.

So I have a new, re-phrased question!

The Breeze 2 was handy in that the test strips were supplied in blister packs, 10 to a pack (in the form of a disc that you loaded into the machine).

This means that for an "occasional" user such as myself (by which I mean I only test if I feel the need or wish to monitor for a short period), I don't open a vial or load a cassette with 50 tests in/on it, and which will go out of date within a few weeks if opened or loaded into the machine.

For example I have an accucheck mobile which I bought to keep in a packpack/saddlebag etc but which to my horror I found decided to refuse to work 90 days after the cassette was loaded, even though this was well before the expiry date on the casette's packaging! (Accucheck did send me a nice email explaining why).

So - what I'm looking for is a meter whereby the "consumables" work in a similar way to the Breeze 2, otherwise it's going to get a tad expensive (either for me or the NHS) on consumables simply to keep a "loaded" meter on hand in case of need.

Any ideas? - thanks, Richard (Type 2, fairly well managed so far).

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You could get a FreeStyle Optium Neo from Abbott - the strips are individually foil wrapped and work well past their expiry date :) You can order a free one from their website.

IMG_7422.jpg

rmurphy195

Well, I saw the diabetic nurse yesterday to ask for advice on alternatives, and during the discussion she pinted out the blindingly obvious - call the manufacturer and see whats what (doh). She did have some freebies, but the test strips on them were all dated Dec 2016.

So I called Bayer - they confirmed that they had discontinued the Breeze 2 discs i.e. it was not a supply chain problem - and after asking how often I tested etc. recommended a Contour as a replacement - stating that the strips can be used right up to the expiry date as long as the phial is kept properly sealed. AND they would send me an upgrade - Free!. Which arrived this morning and, on reading the instruction that came with it and with the strips (50, dated 01/18!) these confirmed what was said on the phone.

So while the machine may not be as handy to use as the Breeze 2, I should be OK for a bit, certainly to help me self-monitor through the medication change.

Reactions: robert72