1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get the Diabetes Forum App for your phone - available on iOS and Android.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Guest, we'd love to know what you think about the forum! Take the Diabetes Forum Survey 2019 »
    Dismiss Notice
  4. Diabetes Forum should not be used in an emergency and does not replace your healthcare professional relationship. Posts can be seen by the public.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Find support, ask questions and share your experiences. Join the community »

Breeze 2 - equivalent replacement?

Discussion in 'Ask A Question' started by rmurphy195, Nov 25, 2016.

1. rmurphy195

rmurphy195 · Member

I've deleted my post from the other day about this meter, 'cos I've found the answer.

So I have a new, re-phrased question!

The Breeze 2 was handy in that the test strips were supplied in blister packs, 10 to a pack (in the form of a disc that you loaded into the machine).

This means that for an "occasional" user such as myself (by which I mean I only test if I feel the need or wish to monitor for a short period), I don't open a vial or load a cassette with 50 tests in/on it, and which will go out of date within a few weeks if opened or loaded into the machine.

For example I have an accucheck mobile which I bought to keep in a packpack/saddlebag etc but which to my horror I found decided to refuse to work 90 days after the cassette was loaded, even though this was well before the expiry date on the casette's packaging! (Accucheck did send me a nice email explaining why).

So - what I'm looking for is a meter whereby the "consumables" work in a similar way to the Breeze 2, otherwise it's going to get a tad expensive (either for me or the NHS) on consumables simply to keep a "loaded" meter on hand in case of need.

Any ideas? - thanks, Richard (Type 2, fairly well managed so far).

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. robert72

robert72 Type 1 · Well-Known Member

You could get a FreeStyle Optium Neo from Abbott - the strips are individually foil wrapped and work well past their expiry date :) You can order a free one from their website.

IMG_7422.jpg

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. rmurphy195

rmurphy195 · Member

Well, I saw the diabetic nurse yesterday to ask for advice on alternatives, and during the discussion she pinted out the blindingly obvious - call the manufacturer and see whats what (doh). She did have some freebies, but the test strips on them were all dated Dec 2016.

So I called Bayer - they confirmed that they had discontinued the Breeze 2 discs i.e. it was not a supply chain problem - and after asking how often I tested etc. recommended a Contour as a replacement - stating that the strips can be used right up to the expiry date as long as the phial is kept properly sealed. AND they would send me an upgrade - Free!. Which arrived this morning and, on reading the instruction that came with it and with the strips (50, dated 01/18!) these confirmed what was said on the phone.

So while the machine may not be as handy to use as the Breeze 2, I should be OK for a bit, certainly to help me self-monitor through the medication change.

• Like Like x 1
  • Meet the Community

Find support, connect with others, ask questions and share your experiences with people with diabetes, their carers and family.

Did you know: 7 out of 10 people improve their understanding of diabetes within 6 months of being a Diabetes Forum member. Get the Diabetes Forum App and stay connected on iOS and Android

Grab the app!
  • Tweet with us

• Like us on Facebook