diabetes getting worst over time

Jasonuk

been reading up on type 2 diabetes for a while, wanna throw a post out there to see wot others think,
there seems to be 2 main types of managment
1, NHS approach - normal healthy diet, regular exercise, no need to check daily if ur type 2, unless part of education
2, diabetics approach- low carb diet- exercise- testing testing testing
asi cant follow these 2 approaches at once!!! i need to choose one, i most def want to do wots best for my health both now and long term
as diabetes progresses ovef time at in insulin cells die off more, where does eating low carbs come in there?, as in is it possible to eat low carbs and halt/ stop diabetes progressing cutting out need for tablets/ insulin?
are there any members who have followed low carbs long term and have never had to go onto meds/ insulin?
i;m on METFORMIN 2, tabs twice a day, by bs have dropped from 24, to under 10 in 4 weeks, lower most of time both pre and post eating, i.m not following low carb as in choosing to work out carb value in foods just eating healthy, am i on a honeymoon period?
does me following low carb eating and testing often mean my blood suger is kept tight and it stays that way even though diabetes progesses over time meaning is low carbs and testing enough on its own to keep tight control of blood sugers, if not am i fighting to control something that will change get worst over time? despit my best efforts

Jason

Dobbs

hi jasonuk
when you say your levels are now below 10, how far below 10 are they? because 10 is still very high, too high to be comfortable.
yes, diabetes is progressive if you do nothing to control it. the symptoms are pretty unpleasant, including nerve damage, kidney disease, damage to your eyes, your heart, etc. There's a pretty good chance of all this stuff starting if you let your levels remain high (it's pretty clear what "high" means, if you read around this forum).
So it's up to you. I choose to keep them as low as I can so I can increase my chances of leading as normal and pain-free life as possible for as long as I can. The only effective thing I've found so far is a big-time reduction of carbohydrates, plus Metformin 2x500 per day.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Jason
The medical estalishment believe that T2 gets progressively worse, but there is another body of people[diabetics] who believe that if properly controlled[ bg around 5 at all times] it doesn't need to. There is quite a number of patients who have this level of control and who have reduced medication or even got rid of it all together.
This takes a bit of dedication to achieve.
Hana

Jasonuk

HI ty for replies,
my fasting bs when i got up today- friday morning was 5.0
my 2 hour reading after evening meal was 7.7 was getting reading about 10, but bs is dropping i last week,
my bs when diognosed 5 weeks ago was 24.1, on metformin 2000mg a day

Jason

Dobbs

hi Jason
well, a fasting reading of 5.0 is excellent, and a reading of 7.7 two hours after meals is pretty good. So you're doing something right.
Dare I ask what sort of diet you follow?

C

catherinecherub

Hi jason,
Getting to grips with your management of diabetes is all that any of us can do.

Complications will set in if you ignore it but I like to think that control will delay or even eradicate the inevitable as it is always described as a progressive disease. I don't think it is a question that anyone can truly answer but it is always best to give it your best shot. Never give up and always take control is my motto.

I have had some setbacks when I was prescribed two intensive courses of steroids which raised my blood sugars to alarming levels and for up to six weeks afterwards but once that was over I quickly started management again.

Hope this helps as your OP sounds as though you are thinking in a negative way.

Catherine.

Jasonuk

Hi catherine

ty for ur post, i;m new to diabetes , but not new to chronic illness ugh,
it seems to me the 2 approaches seem to be able to work,
NHS approach- eating healthy, exercise, not testing daily, relying on hbaic thingy bloodtest
diabetic peoples approach- ating low carbs, testing daily, exercise
my main question i guess was if i follow low carb, testing pre and post meals will that really stop diabetes progressing as in will diabetes progress despite my best efforts there, as diabetes is a proggressive ilness anyway
or if i follow nhs advice and eat healthy everything in moderation, and test once a week and have the HBAIC thigy bloodtest when needed
do the both approaches lead to the same place eventually as in proggresive diabetes despite either approach
Jason

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hi Jason. :)

A healthy diet for people with a healthy pancreas is one thing and a healthy diet for those whose pancreas is no longer properly functioning is something entirely different. They can NOT be the same diet! :shock:

Basically as a T2 your pancreas is no longer able to cope with glucose in the way it was designed to do so it naturally follows that if you eat the healthy diet advocated by the NHS which includes all the starchy carbs you will not function as well or perhaps feel ill; even if on meds since they can only do just so much to help you.

I don’t see how it is possible that the two ways of tackling T2, which you mention, will ultimately lead to the same destination since they are so radically different. The NHS ‘healthy diet’ is akin to ignoring the condition or even trying to put out a fire by pouring on petrol. :roll:

In all fairness you do have to have some sympathy for the health professionals as they are so often dealing with people who are almost impossible to help. There are always people who do not want to know about anything and just want the medication, others who cannot control their cravings and just shut their minds to the consequences and then there are the anomalies who want to take control of their condition. For some it ultimately proves impossible to take control without the assistance of medication and some people may even ‘fall off’ as they become combat weary.

My own thoughts on this are that the NHS have fallen into the way of just treating everyone in the same way as it is simpler and less time consuming. It takes time to know how people are going to react given what a shock the diagnosis can be and time is something in very short supply. The problem is that the patients are not often given the choice and the HCPs often seem to panic when the patient does not ‘conform’.

Which course to steer MUST be entirely up to the individual since the consequences also have to be borne by that same individual. Taking control of your own condition is not the easy way out but it is safer for your long term health. The best thing you can do is experiment to see what works for you because, as has been said so often, ‘we are all different’.

Your body, your health, your diabetes and your life! Your choice!

Herman lausan

Hi Jason.
I believe you must test to get control. Once you have mastered this , then I believe testing is futile. I can't carb. count . And I believe this is true of most diabetics. But I do follow a Low Glycemic diet. After 1 week I knew what to eat and what not to eat.Then I started to exercise . Nordic walking was my choice . It uses 46% more energy without noticing any extra effort.The method of exercise affected my Glucose levels , my cholesterol levels and my Blood pressure levels. All normal now. My Hba1c 3 months ago was 5.5. I only test FBS every 3 months . Three days ago it was 96 or 5.3. Testing is great , IF you are going to do something with the numbers. Otherwise not neccessary !!Learn all you can about diabetes. You must take control of this disease yourself. Fortunately I can buy any drugs over the counter. I take 2000 mg. of metformin, 3 mg. of Amaryl 250 mg. of Nicotinic Acid and 1000 mcg. of Mecobalamin A form of B12.I do discuss my diabetes with my doctor , but I decide what drugs I am to take and what not. I have many reasons for this . I do have a good doctor, but so many know very little about diabetes. Thats why it is so important to know all you can. Yes , we all have had problems with or Glucose Numbers, but in my heart I knew what I had done wrong and how to correct it. Lying to one's self is so easy. Oh, I can have just a little of that. we all know that syndrome.When we have really eaten all we needed and really wanted. :lol:
Good luck on your journey

dollydreamer

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Tories
hi
oh god if only i could control my cravings, any ideas anyone. i've packed up smoking 2 years now so its not will power alone. i want to be in my body, not cut off from it so what do i do when my body is craving something yet i know that logically if i give into this craving then that won't be good for my bs - oh its a battle alright a right royal one at that !!!!!!!!!
i;'ve struggled long enough with the battle to know that neither one side is solely right and that the only way i've found forward is to try and get a balance between the two - so a bit of what you fancy does you good but only in moderation as curiosity killed the cat and satisfaction made it fat.
oh well
i'll be off now to get me washing in off the line.
best wishes

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
dollydreamer said:
hi
if only i could control my cravings, any ideas anyone.

Hi dolly :)

The only option is to squash the cravings as we cannot afford them any more! :roll: :evil:

You need to keep busy and occupied, making sure that your family and friends know exactly how important it is that you keep on 'the straight and narrow' so that they will help you - appropriately! You also need to factor into your menu some sensible 'treats' which won't mar your BG levels.

castigers

dollydreamer said:
hi oh god if only i could control my cravings, any ideas anyone.

As radical as it sounds when I get a craving (very rare these days) I simply remind myself that one bite of 'forbidden delights' and I could lose my eyes, hands , liver, feet or simply die through part of my body deciding to stop functioning, that generally makes my craving subside.

In my early days I had pictures of what happens when Diabetes truly takes control....was more than enough for me to stick to the straight n narrow.......

As Wham used to say 'Choose life'..... :D