Diabetes course

Jo1984

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all.. has anyone been on the uk diabetes 4 week course. If so is it worth it? Thanks in advance .

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
I've just been invited on a seven-week course by my HCP for three hours a week. Having done a one-day course in October that left me feeling less than enthralled, I haven't taken them up on this latest offer.

The first course was mandatory, the second one on offer did not have any "menaces" attached to ensure attendance.

Reactions: VinnyJames

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was told that if I didn't go on the course, all support for my diabetes would be withdrawn.

I was not aware that the NHS could refuse treatment? or are you talking about support and what is classed as support?

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
It was not specific, but because the word "all" was used I took it to mean that support, such as eye screening, foot checks etc. would all go, though it could have meant any future courses would not be offered. I must admit that, rather than tackle them head on about the wording, I would just say yes and go on the course.

This latest one I've been offered is not mandatory, but if I'm offered future courses where they insist I must attend I shall ask why.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was not specific, but because the word "all" was used I took it to mean that support, such as eye screening, foot checks etc. would all go, though it could have meant any future courses would not be offered. I must admit that, rather than tackle them head on about the wording, I would just say yes and go on the course.

This latest one I've been offered is not mandatory, but if I'm offered future courses where they insist I must attend I shall ask why.

I'm very surprised at them using the term 'All' in fact i'm shocked that they could. In my case and all those that i know of with diabetes the eye screening is done by referral to the hospital and you either go or you don't it's up to you, most do though. All the feet stuff is checked by the nurse at the surgery. As far as courses go there Is the Desmond one which I was told by my GP is totally voluntary. Your GP surgery sounds very strict to me, and if they had said that to me I would have complained and changed to another GP because that kind treatment is unacceptable as far as i'm concerned

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I've never been on any diabetes course or even been offered one. I'm grateful for that having seen many negative posts. Courses that last many days seem to me a great waste of time and NHS money.

ally1

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
liver
I did the Desmond course, was told by surgery to attend, if refused then they would, t treat me
Quite frankly it was a total waste of time. Was told to eat bread, rice, pasta.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had diabetes since 2009 I was offered a course 3 months ago which I refused !!
CAROL

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
From some of the comments it looks like things are different all over the country, nothing new there then!! I did attend Desmond and was offered a place within 2 months of being referred by my GP. I did find it interesting but not enough emphasis on carb counting, the keep off sugar stuff because you are now diabetic was just abc to me and most people there. What I will say is that well over half the group were pre-diabetic and all of them from the same surgery about 6 miles away from mine, and their diabetic nurse sounded like an Angel who would do anything to help these people whether pre, or diagnosed.

Tabbyjoolz

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Cruelty, bigotry
It was not my surgery which issued this edict, it was the local healthcare authority. I agree it is draconian and I complained after the course when we filled in our feedback forms.

Johnjoe13

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It was not my surgery which issued this edict, it was the local healthcare authority. I agree it is draconian and I complained after the course when we filled in our feedback forms.

Well I guess would have ended up punching somebody's light out if they had taken this tone with me, whichever 'gob Shoot'!! it had come from