continuous glucose monitoring

mcpound

Hi, I hope someone can help. I have a 19 month old son with type 1 on a pump. As his bs are pretty unpredictable with use cgm aswell. Our problem is we would love to be able to move him into his own room but as the alarms on the pump are so quiet we cannot hear them through the baby monitor. Someone told me that in the USA a hand held device is available that could also recieve all the info from the cgm and alarm if he goes low etc. This would be perfect as we could keep it by the bed.I rang Medtronic USA and they didnt know what I was talking about. Has anyone come across such a device? Any other ideas would be gratefully recieved.xx

sugar2

Hi,

I have an Acuchk combo...and this has a blood glucose monitor that talks va blue tooth to the pump...so may be it is this that you have heard of? I do not know if it has CGM option though?

Sorry, not much help I am afraid. I can appreciatethat if your little one is lieing on teh pump...he is going to work as quite a good sounds bafflle!
I have heard about "diabetic guide dogs", that can smell hypos etc. I would think that your little one is a good candidate for one of those?

Wishing you good luck, and that you can get your own space back, safe in teh knowledge that little one is going to be OK.

mcpound

THanks for your reply. I have heard of diabebtic guide dogs. Not an option for us at the moment though Im afraid. Will keep my thinking cap on for a solution or just accept our son is in our room to stay for a little while.x

ruralweb

Type of diabetes
Type 1
The device you are looking for is called the Guardian which works with the sensor to give a BG readout. We had exactly the same idea as you but it does not work because the sensor/Gardian has a very short range ie about 4 ft so its useless realy for monitoring a child in another room. The best we could do was put it a bit nearer to us but we gave up in the end - medtronic seem geared more towards adults as they dont seem to understand the requirements of parents and the ideal of being able to simply look at a device to see the BG level of a child without having to rummage about lloking for a pump in a pocket while out and about or trying to find it a night under a pile of toys etc.

Overall we found CGM a nightmare and it took over our lives by constantly reminding us abourt Diabetes. The advert Medtronic use with a sleeping child IMO is not quite our experience.