Intermittent waking during the night ?

shubido

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Various things have disturbed my sleep over the years.

- coffee and caffeine are the biggie. I have become more and more sensitive over time, and have now given up even decaff tea and coffee because they were affecting me.
- when I am nicely low carb I actually need less sleep. So if I expect 8 hours and my body only wants 6, then I might consider it insomnia, when it is actually how my body likes it to be when not sedated with carbs and struggling to heal daily blood glucose damage.
- when I am nicely low carb, my body runs quite hot - the thermostat keeps me toastie. I only need a light duvet and keep my feet stuck out a lot of the time. Very comfortable that way.
- menopause is incoming - heaven knows what havoc that will wreak.
- I often wake up sharply, nip to the loo, and then settle again. This has happened for years. The Libre has shown that this often coincides with a drop in blood glucose, around 2am. Not severe enough to be a hypo. Happens every night. After that, a series of tiny liver dumps keep my bg comfortable for the rest of the night.
- hypos in the night (thankfully rare nowadays) used to wake me from nightmares and horrible sweaty doomladen sleep. But then so did indigestion, a guilty conscience, and various stresses.

I guess, really what I am saying is that it isn't always diabetes related. Though diet, exercise and lifestyle play a huge part.

I have had some terrible nights in the past and have found myself sitting on the edge of the bed swaying until the feeling passes and was constantly throwing covers off and sleeping poorly. However since I've taken the decision to take hrt for another medical issue in September , my quality of sleep is soooo much better and this is evident by my fitness app which records levels of sleep. As my sleep is better I'm able to cope with everything much better during the day also. I'm not saying this is the answer it's just interesting that by trying to solve another medical issue it's helped my sleeping problems . Hope this helps.

Reactions: daisyduck

Redrav

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Negative people
I suffer from RLS - restless leg syndrome. I could stay awake for hours when I get an attack. Fortunately this only happens occasionally!! Otherwise I get up about 3 times at night to wee, due to having a weak bladder.

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
I suffer from RLS - restless leg syndrome. I could stay awake for hours when I get an attack. Fortunately this only happens occasionally!! Otherwise I get up about 3 times at night to wee, due to having a weak bladder.

I dont know if this helps you but did me.... a retired diabetic nurse advised me to have one square of plain chocolate before I went to bed and hey ho.... slept better and my blood levels didnt change in the morning.

On a second point - I am furious that my surgery have decided not to prescibe needles and testing strips anymore... saving ? v having to work out what is best not to eat
advised if a problem make a gp apt!? and this saves how much from the NHS?

Reactions: daisyduck

littlelin

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness; Ageism;Rain&Cold.
This might help.... A retired diabtic nurse told me to have one square only of plain chocolate before bed
and this has helped a lot with no higher blood nos in the morning. Good luck