Bodybuilding - diet advice

Leejjay

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi folks, I'm a type1 and have been since 1993. I went on to an insulin pump last February and it's the best thing I've ever done!
So I've decided that as when I woke up the other day and looked in the mirror and my reflection had been replaced by that of a fat bloke I was going to do something about him. As I want my reflection back!
So I've joined a gym, now in my early 20's I used the gym a lot just for my general fitness but I've decided that I want to put on a bit of muscle and (as vain as it sounds) look good.
I run, row and then use various machines and weights.
So I think my biggest problem will be food, I like it. I like it a lot. Portion control is rubbish!
So I need help with that. My diet is pretty good. So this is a general day at work menu for me. I use the gym before work.
Breakfast -nothing
Dinner -skinless chicken thigh and a veg pack (for 3 people)
Tea-anything we had fish last nigh, pizza the night before. I don't really do ready meals.
Supper- only if I need to eat because of a possible hypo.
I've just started to use a diet whey protein drink, and creatine.
So what else do I need to do, with regards to eating?
Thanks in advance!

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
If you are looking to gain muscle, you will probably need to eat better. If you are over weight (no idea by how much as you didn't say) then your diet isn't pretty good. Eating pizza isn't part of a "pretty good diet," either. It kinda sounds like you eat too many carbs, but there is no info on your carb intake. So?

You don't really give much of an idea as to what you eat, ratios etc. Inconsistent eating is what I see, sometimes you do and sometimes you skip meals makes it hard to know what you're doing.

In regards to whey protein powder, it is just a quick convenient source of protein... eggs are another quick easy protein, but they are both good sources if you can find one that isn't full of ****. Do read what is in protein powders, many are full of garbage. Many are full of sugar. It's not a magical, grow muscle thing regardless of the over hyped marketing.

Take into account the impact weight training will have on blood sugar levels, it can have a big impact on lowering levels. Hope all goes well for you. Get the diet into something consistent and figure out how many carbs you really need. That would be my suggestion.

I'm pretty sure if you get the diet and exercise right, you'll start dropping the excess weight, improve bg levels and your overall health will improve. And you will like how you look better, nothing wrong with that. Weight training is a great way to get fit, trim and physically healthier. And unlike some sports or forms of exercise, it doesn't matter if it is or isn't raining outside... lol

Good luck!

KazV1

As above, that diet is mot good f you want to build muscle. Never skip breakfast. I dont eat carbs for breakfast until my basal insulin has kicked in. Id stick to a filling protein and fat breakfast, eggs, meats, nuts, avocados, eat the majority of your carbs before you train, and if need be a little after. And dont skip dinner.

Edited by a mod

Last edited by a moderator:

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As above, that diet is pretty **** rubbish if you want to build muscle. Never skip breakfast. I dont eat carbs for breakfast until my basal insulin has kicked in. Id stick to a filling protein and fat breakfast, eggs, meats, nuts, avocados, eat the majority of your carbs before you train, and if need be a little after. And dont skip dinner.

The OP is on a pump so basal is constant.

qe5rt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Having the perfect diet for gaining muscle isn't easy, being diabetic makes this more difficult since you'll also need to have your blood sugar under control. Altering your diet and exercise regime will require you to test regularly.

The basic nutritional guidelines for bodybuilding apply to diabetics as well. You'll need to have a caloric surplus in order to keep gaining muscles --> as you gain muscle, you'll gain weight thus need more calories. Between 1.5-2 grams of protein per kg of body weight is advised. Carbs become tricky as traditionally you'll need a-freaking-lot. Cutting some carbs and replacing them by fat (unsaturated) will make it easier to control your blood sugar but fat will never be as effective as carbs. But the better control you get from replacing a higher portion of carbs with fat pays off in the long run. The last few years i bulked with higher fat ratios and have had good results. But i do powerlifting and muscle gains don't really concern me that much, only strength. Though in a bulking phase (and still on a strength routine) i can gain about 4-5 kg of weight and according to my body composition scale about 1,5 kg of muscle. When eating carbs go for complex carbs and never simple carbs (a google search will yield lot's of lists). Just don't go overboard with carbs in a single serving as that will mess up your blood glucose.

Routine in your eating habits is also very important. I try to eat something every two hours, having a protein shake makes this easier as it's quick and easy. A good site to remember is http://www.supplementlabtest.com/ as this will show you tests of most protein powders and their purity. You'll obviously need to use progressive loading on the resistance since that's basically how it works, your muscles get micro tears from resistance once they get "used to" the weight this becomes less and less so you need to increase the weight. Then your body rebuilds your muscle making them a bit stronger and bigger every time. This is where protein (and carbs) play a huge rule. Insulin also plays a major role in this body mechanic, therefor having a good control of your blood glucose post workout is important.

On protein powders: you can use them or not (they are definitely not mandatory for gaining muscle). You can get all you require from whole foods. But in the realm of biological value protein powders take the cake (the higher the better). It basically goes whey protein powders > milk > (lean) meats > fish > vegetables (as a rule of thumb). I use them a lot as i find them easy and unless you go overboard they're actually cheaper per gram of protein than whole foods. Proper whey shakes barely contain any carbs but stay away from weight gainers as they are just carb bombs. Personally i find the importance in nutrition to be (in descending order): macro nutrients (protein, carbs, fat), micro nutrients (minerals and vitamins), supplements. Timing of nutrition and hydration are also important factors.

If you want a good read on sports nutrition you can read Anita Bean's sport nutrition book, they're fairly straight forward.