LCHF

dawnmc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)

Terryrhino

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@James1968 you might be new to this but you seem to have it going well and definitely heading in the right direction I've just had the best results after only 3 months 99 down to 39 , 15.4 to 5.6 that was basically on 80-100g of carbs per day walking less beer and pretty much no bread pasta potatoes flour and sugar I have eggs mushrooms sausage tomatoes for breakfast then a combination of meat fish and veggies roasted/steamed , and boiled eggs cheese and bell peppers for snacks,
Good luck with everything and don't beat yourself up if you slip just start again

Last edited:
Reactions: Prem51

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
@James1968 you might be new to this but you seem to have it going well and definitely heading in the right direction I've just had the best results after only 3 months 99 down to 39 , 15.4 to 5.6 that was basically on 80-100g of carbs per day walking less beer and pretty much no bread pasta potatoes flour and sugar I have eggs mushrooms sausage tomatoes for breakfast then a combination of meat fish and veggies roasted/steamed , and boiled eggs cheese and bell peppers for snacks,
Good luck with everything and don't beat yourself up if you slip just start again

Thanks slipped again last night but I need to sort this out asap but I will get there.
Thanks for the support

Reactions: Terryrhino

srm100841

I have been diabetic since Nov/ Dec 2016, I have done some of the LCHF thing and was wondering how much carbs i should have each day?
I know some people will say everybody is different but just looking for a ball park figure.
I am 15 stone and about 5"10/5"11

I guess that most here will give you similar advice because of similar experiences. However, we are not all identical!

My golden rule is to keep within 50 carbs per day whilst eating 3 meals plus a light supper. For the lat 6 years my average BG's have been in range 5 - 6. Prior to that, I was eating a diet recommended and agreed with a dietician which gave me readings for the 5 previous years in excess of double figures. I now consider myself in remission as a result of advice from this forum.

The advice already given that you should monitor levels 1 and 2 hours after meals is obviously vital so that you can get a handle on what foods might affect you. You can then begin to "red-line" certain items and concentrate on those which don't have an affect upon you. For myself I redline bread, pasta, rice and potato but nevertheless make sure that I'm eating plenty of other food so that I don't feel hungry between meals. Dairy stuff I find fine also nuts apart from peanuts and cashews and am careful with cream. I don't drink milk but I do have cream. I avoid all the red top milk, single cream and reduce double cream but find I can tolerate as much clotted cream as I care to buy. Anything which says 'reduced fat' I avoid because it's generally higher in carbs than it's full fat alternative.

I initially lost a fair bit of weight when I went low carbbut have added some in the last 3 years because I can't resist a few wines and a daily pint of beer!! My BG levels remain stable though.

Good luck.

James1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I guess that most here will give you similar advice because of similar experiences. However, we are not all identical!

My golden rule is to keep within 50 carbs per day whilst eating 3 meals plus a light supper. For the lat 6 years my average BG's have been in range 5 - 6. Prior to that, I was eating a diet recommended and agreed with a dietician which gave me readings for the 5 previous years in excess of double figures. I now consider myself in remission as a result of advice from this forum.

The advice already given that you should monitor levels 1 and 2 hours after meals is obviously vital so that you can get a handle on what foods might affect you. You can then begin to "red-line" certain items and concentrate on those which don't have an affect upon you. For myself I redline bread, pasta, rice and potato but nevertheless make sure that I'm eating plenty of other food so that I don't feel hungry between meals. Dairy stuff I find fine also nuts apart from peanuts and cashews and am careful with cream. I don't drink milk but I do have cream. I avoid all the red top milk, single cream and reduce double cream but find I can tolerate as much clotted cream as I care to buy. Anything which says 'reduced fat' I avoid because it's generally higher in carbs than it's full fat alternative.

I initially lost a fair bit of weight when I went low carbbut have added some in the last 3 years because I can't resist a few wines and a daily pint of beer!! My BG levels remain stable though.

Good luck.

Thanks and well done
Congratulations are the order of the day for you,this will get me going again can't wait for the light nights to arrive so I can get out and do some cycling again