What do you have for breakfast?

syntaxed

Hi all,

As my old breakfast of choice - weetabix - is making me spike like mad, I am looking for some alternatives! What's your breakfast of choice, forum?

banjo brunette

generally sliced meat (Chorizo is the current favourite) and cheese and a cup of tea. I know they've just reported that cured meats are all-round poisonous and raise the risk of heart-attacks and diabetes BUT then I'm already diabetic so :lol: (can't find a "rasberry" emoticon!!!).

For a change I sometimes buy a punnet or two of lwo-carb fruit, when there's a special offer on, and a big tub of Total greek yoghurt and have that for a few days - but not too often as it raises my BG higher than the alternative.

The husband swears by a two-egg omelette with bacon, mushies and cheese (Yuck). Each to their own...

Hope you find something to tickle your tastebuds in the morning.

Cheers, BB :D

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Monday to Friday I always have a bowl of all-bran with pumpkin/sunflower seeds, blueberries and natural low-fat yoghurt. On a weekend I have 2 rashers of bacon grilled with scrambled eggs and two slices of Burgen bread toasted.

Nigel

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
I have a pot of Total greek yoghurt. Full fat when I am going out for the morning, 2% fat when I am staying in.

PickledPepper

I just had 2 rashers of bacon, 2 scrambled eggs and mushrooms cooked in Flora Active with......wait for it.....a single toasted slice of Warburton's seeded batch brown bread! :twisted:

I bet my levels will fly into the sky! Will do a 1,2,3 hour test to establish the way in which my breakfast is killing me in terms of spikes. Last time I had the above (minus the bread) I kept within the preferred level but now I get to see the effect of the bread. :D

PickledPepper

Do you think this is acceptable? Opinions appreciated.

Had brekkie this morning and readings went as follows:

Fasting: 5.3
I hour after breakfast: 9.3
2 hours after breakfast: 6.7
3 hours after breakfast 5.7

I guess the question is whether the spike around the 1 hour mark did me theoretical damage?

It was the tiny slice of Warburtons seeded brown bread wot done it, I reckon. lol But that is quite a jump from 5.3 on waking to 9.3!

Thanks to the folks who told me about the 1 hour test. Now that I think of it, maybe loads of food that I previously only tested at 2 hours + is giving me spikes like this! Is it back to the drawing board, partially at least? Or am I being a tad anally retentive?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
PP,

Next time try using a slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed bread, I find it doesn't spike my bg as much as other breads, but as we say repeatedly on here.................. 'we are all different' ! :D

Nigel

PickledPepper

noblehead said:
PP,

Next time try using a slice of Burgen Soya and Linseed bread, I find it doesn't spike my bg as much as other breads, but as we say repeatedly on here.................. 'we are all different' ! :D

Nigel

Nigel,

I'm strongly getting the feeling like I am extra sensitive to ANY carbs. I tried to find that bread you mentioned the other day in Sainsburys with no luck. Can you point me to somewhere that will stock it?

How much does it raise your bg by out of interest?

Thanks

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
This morning, i saw to animals[3dogs,2cats] went out to waitrose and realised I'd forgotten to eat breakfast. Had a latte. Usually, I grab a bit of cheese or scramble an egg in the microwave.
Hana

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
PickledPepper said:
noblehead said:
PP,

Nigel

Nigel,

I'm strongly getting the feeling like I am extra sensitive to ANY carbs. I tried to find that bread you mentioned the other day in Sainsburys with no luck. Can you point me to somewhere that will stock it?

How much does it raise your bg by out of interest?

Thanks

PP,

You can buy Burgen bread in most supermarkets, I'm surprised Sainsburys don't stock it. Try Asda or Morrisons, but the cheapest place to buy Burgen is Iceland at £1 a loaf. As for how much it raises my bg, it isn't really relevant as you know, as all foods have a different reaction depending on how well someone can tolerate carbs, or the meds/insulin they use. This morning I had 2 slices for my breakfast with poached eggs for a change, altogether the bead was 24g of carbs, and I had a small handful of blueberries afterwards which was 5g of carbs, total carbs 29g. My bg on waking was 5.9, 1 hour 15 mins later it was 7.2, I tested again 2 hours 25 mins later and was 5.7, and I am hoping it remains around this figure until lunch-time, but I shall test again as always before lunch.

Please don't forget that I use insulin to treat my diabetes, and for the record I used 5 units of novorapid to deal with my breakfast, hope the above has helped!

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

Most supermarket branches vary as to what they stock. If there is only a small percentage of people who buy a product then they will discontinue it but it will still be available in other branches if there is a demand. If you cannot find Burgen, there is another make, Vogel.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
catherinecherub said:
Most supermarket branches vary as to what they stock. If there is only a small percentage of people who buy a product then they will discontinue it but it will still be available in other branches if there is a demand. If you cannot find Burgen, there is another make, Vogel.

Never tried Vogel bread Catherine, any good and is it low-gi ?

Nigel

C

catherinecherub

It is another soya and linseed one. Smaller slices but cannot think of the carb content off hand. I have used it when I couldn't get Burgen.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Used to have porridge but found that spike bg so now have Bran Flakes which is much better. Can eat bacon and egg which I love, but hate frying bacon (or egg) and grilling messes up my cooker too much so it's only a treat now and then. And in case the thought is I'm too lazy - no, you wouldn't of course - I am disabled and can only stand for a very limited time to scrub a grill pan. :!:

PickledPepper

It's lucky you can handle those carbs Foxglove. I too had Bran Flakes this morning. Now that I have my new digital scales, I know exactly how much as well. 71 g of Bran Flakes, mixed with an ounce of almonds and some crush walnuts with full fat milk. I went from a personal fasting best of 4.9 to a whooping 13.6 in a hour, at 2 hours I was 8.9.

Not good. lol

I see my GP on the morrow for the first time since diagnosis. I hope she doesn't get all stingy about prescribing test strips.

Ardbeg

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Self serving politicians
Variety is the spice of life and that is true for breakfast too.

The thought of eating the same thing for breakfast every day leaves me cold.

I alternate between:

Lizi's Granola
Scott's Porridge oats (with a healthy sprinkling of cinammon on top)
poached eggs on toast (always wholemeal bread)
Branson Baked Beans on toast
Scrambled eggs on toast
bacon & egg
Full English breakfast at least once a week (usually at the weekend)

I also used to drink the juice of a freshly squeezed pink grapefruit, but now I've discovered that Tesco's sell it by the carton (fresh, not from concentrate) I drink a glass of this every morning too

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Re: What do you have for breakfast? Pickled Pepper.

Not surprised at that! My helping of branflakes is 1 ounce only with semiskimmed milk and nothing else. Then I have 2 oatcakes and a cuppa or a milky coffee about an hour or so later.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
PickledPepper said:
It's lucky you can handle those carbs Foxglove. I too had Bran Flakes this morning. Now that I have my new digital scales, I know exactly how much as well. 71 g of Bran Flakes, mixed with an ounce of almonds and some crush walnuts with full fat milk. I went from a personal fasting best of 4.9 to a whooping 13.6 in a hour, at 2 hours I was 8.9.

Not good. lol

I see my GP on the morrow for the first time since diagnosis. I hope she doesn't get all stingy about prescribing test strips.

PP,

71g is quite a bowl full, try reducing this to 30-40g and add some seeds to bulk it up. All-bran may be a better choice, a bowl of 40g (which is a good portion) works out at only 20g of carbs.

Nigel

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
My usual breakfast is half a grapefruit and 2 or 3 cups of strong black coffee but just recently I have been eating cereal again, 25g of special K or corn flakes and a splash of semi skimmed milk and I seem to be OK with it now although 6 or 7 months ago it was a no no, things are pretty good for me at the moment.