Menus.

mobrien

You may also find a small snack and I mean small may help your blood sugars maintain a steady rate during the night. Me I have 1 slice of linseed and pumpkin bread or even low GI bread so I usually go to bed with a bg of around 7 and get up with a bg around 6.5 :D

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Spiders - especially the big black ones!
Yes, I agree , I will get some standby snacks ready.
I shall be getting some more Protein Plus when I am over in Ireland in June. This can be mixed with some skimmed milk and is a good standby.This is not the same as the Protein Plus whey but can't remember what the full name is.
As regards the pain aspect, I am now on a stronger med but can only take one dose in 24hrs otherwise I will get "restless legs" which is just as bad as dealing with the pain. I have continually asked to be referred to the pain clinic but my gp just insists on trying different tabs instead. It really makes me very depressed at times as I can't plan to do anything but have to wait and see how I am each day.
Ah. well! I always say there are those worse off than me! :?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
There's nothing like success to boost the motivation. 8)
Hana

Synonym

Dislikes
Having no energy as this is so limiting.
Hello again foxglove. :)

I would make an appointment to see the doctor and tell him that it has come to your attention that the lack of adequate pain control does not help you in reducing your BG levels and say that you are formally asking for his help and a referral to the pain clinic. Note his replies down in front of him and make it clear that you are seriously looking at your next steps in where to apply within the PCT in your efforts to try to improve your health and care. Hopefully that might spark a bit of interest at the very least! :roll: :evil:

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Have been completely off kilter! Just soo fed up and depressed with this pain. Talking to my doc is of no use whatsoever - just stronger pills which either make me like a zombie or I end up with "restless legs". Whichever, I'm just not able to cater for myself in these states and whilst it's a dreadful effort to do anything when my back is bad, at least I am compas mentos. It's really being between the devil and the deep blue sea!!!

Synonym

Dislikes
Hello again foxglove. :)

I think it would help you to take a friend who can support you and go to see the doctor as I suggested in my last post. It won't get better without you doing anything otherwise. :(

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for the follow up.
Actually don't have any friends at all. Have two people I keep in contact with from my line dancing days, but only on a sort of aquaintance standing. And don't have any family that can go with me either.
Because I won't - or can't - take tablets at the dosage level that the gp recommends I am classed as refusing treatment!
I often wonder first thing in the morning, how many more mornings can I stand this pain every day?
Even if I took the higher dose I would still have the pain first thing.
Then comes the doctors "Well if you could lose some weight - that's really your problem."
Sorry - feeling REALLY depressed at the moment, just nothing going right. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Synonym

Dislikes
Hi foxglove :)

Really sorry that you are feeling so low. :( Big <<<hugs>>> coming your way! :)

candy1567

Hi foxglove

Sorry ur not feelin the best at the moment, and bein in pain has a knock of effect on almost every aspect of our lives.

Wat i was told wen takin pain medication (this was by my consultant) is that it has to be taken on a regular basis at regular times even if the pain is under control still take the medication because its takin the medication which controls it.

How he explained it to me was that pain is on a sliding scale, it starts off as a pain the escalates to unbearable pain. Wen the pain is so bad it take more medication to get the pain back to a bearable level. So to gain control you have to take the medication as the prescribed times as if u miss a dose the pain has chance to escalate and will need more medication to control it. So was advised to keep the medication in my system to control the pain not wait till the pain was severe then to pop the pills.

dont know if am making sense or not lol, prob not, hope u get sorted soon

Juliexxx

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am well aware of the medical fields opinion on taking medication! ( I have a son who is a paramedic and a sister who worked as a Theatre Sister for many years.)
However, I am not one that considers that everything drs say is gospel. How do you think I would manage to keep my home/finances/cooking etc.etc.going if I am walking round like a zombie!! It's ok for those who have someone to look after them but being able to just make a sandwich or a cup of tea is a major effort in those circumstances.
Or I would suffer the "restless legs" syndrome. Has anyone else had this side effect? Belive me it's as bad as being a zombie except it makes you feel like you're going off your head!!
Thankgoodness I am off to stay with my daughter in Eire for 3weeks on 2nd June although I dread the journey. Usually go straight to bed on arrival. Just hope I don't get held up at the airport by this volcanic dust.
Nuff said.... :mrgreen:

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Foxglove,
I also get restless legs syndrome. I have been taking "Vein-Vine" which is a Red Vine Leaf Extract which helps me a lot. I only take it when my legs are actually "restless". I get it from Healthspan.
Maybe it would help you too.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thought I would update on my current situation.
As regards my diet I have started a good programme of healthy eating using the old WW recipe and have also got to grips with the low carbs which I thought was so confusing at one stage.
Also saw the doctor about my back pain and whilst that has to be faced every morning I do have some stronger tablets which soon take effect and I am able to get a bit more mobile. Still have a few days when I am unable to do much but at least things have gotten a bit better. Have to be grateful for small mercies.
So losing weight should help in a lot of respects.
My actual shake up was on trying to get a rather painful tooth extracted and as they have now tightened up on not allowing anyone with a BMI over 35 to have sedation and being faced with the realities of the problems facing those that are obese, I have taken myself to count and shook myself out of my lethargic attitude.

Starting weight 15st 6lb (at a very indolent pace) 18th April 2010
Current weight 15st 2lb (starting for real) 21st August 2010

:D

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
I am very pleased to be able to say that I not only have gotten my head round the "carbs" bit etc. but am in the process of losing a fair bit of weight.
Started off at 15st 6lb and am now 14st 11lb.
Taken a while to get things moving but unfortunately that's what often happens as one gets older and to add to the problem, been dieting on and off for quite sometime.
Feel so much better for even the amount I have lost so far. :)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
daisy1 said:
Hi Foxglove,
I also get restless legs syndrome. I have been taking "Vein-Vine" which is a Red Vine Leaf Extract which helps me a lot. I only take it when my legs are actually "restless". I get it from Healthspan.
Maybe it would help you too.
Thanks Daisy, sorry I haven't responded to you before. Good of you to let me know how you are coping with this horrible syndrome.

mrsmousemat

The old Weightwatchers diet is very good.Puts weight on the underweight and takes if off the overweight. And has the benefit of simplicity.

I'd recommend Oatibix at breakfast, if you don't like porridge - simply because it comes in ready weighed amounts (It's so easy to cheat otherwise).

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
mrsmousemat said:
The old Weightwatchers diet is very good.Puts weight on the underweight and takes if off the overweight. And has the benefit of simplicity.

I'd recommend Oatibix at breakfast, if you don't like porridge - simply because it comes in ready weighed amounts (It's so easy to cheat otherwise).

I must admit I have never heard that WW helps people to put ON weight, think you may have gotten the wrong info there!
As for the porridge bit - I love porridge and don't find it any hassle at all. Used to weigh a weeks worth of 1ozs into little pots so I didn't have to do it every morning but have now gone to having branflakes instead to aid the tummy system!..... :)

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi everyone. Decided I would get some of your good advice and ask you to see where you would adjust my intake for the day. Any suggestions would be of interest.

Breakfast - Branflakes 1oz + Milk 2flozs
Lunch - Veg Soup (homemade) + Bread 1oz
Snack - Banana
Dinner - Bacon back 2ozs grilled + Cabbage 3oz + Carrot + Pro. Peas 2oz
Dessert - Prunes 4oz (canned in juice) + Yogurt 2oz
Cranberry Juice 8floz

Carbs. 157.5 Fibre 22.7 Calories 1051 Protein 35.58 Fat 37.75 Salt 1.9

And to update my weight situation - was actually 16st 2lb when I started back in April last year and now weigh 14st 3lb. Yay!!!... :)

CeeCee59

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just goes to show how individual we all are. If I ate a banana and had juice of any kind at the same meal my BG would be off the charts! So if you are testing and things are within the recommended levels for you, then keep at it! Congrats on the weight loss.

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
foxglove said:
Breakfast - Branflakes 1oz + Milk 2flozs
Lunch - Veg Soup (homemade) + Bread 1oz
Snack - Banana
Dinner - Bacon back 2ozs grilled + Cabbage 3oz + Carrot + Pro. Peas 2oz
Dessert - Prunes 4oz (canned in juice) + Yogurt 2oz
Cranberry Juice 8floz

Carbs. 157.5 Fibre 22.7 Calories 1051 Protein 35.58 Fat 37.75 Salt 1.9
Just seen your post foxglove and happy you're making progress. but I don't think you will be able to keep up such a low calorie diet. Your protein is very low, how about a lunch of a slice of ham with soup and half a slice of bread. And an egg for breakfast? Also, banana and prunes are very sweet, could you switch to half an apple or orange? If you could get your carbs down to 100 and protein up, you might find your appetite more under control. Protein is the most satiating food. Carbs are the least. Good luck.

foxglove

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Thanks for that Etty. I will try putting the advice about eating the ham with my soup at lunch and doing as much as I can to lower the carbs. However, regarding the low calories I have been on this diet since April 2010 and apart for acouple of very brief blips, which is only human after all, - have kept to it very well. I don't find my appetite a problem at all, in fact often if I am out for lunch can easily leave some on the plate when I consider I have had sufficient. I am disabled and therefore not able to exercise at all and in fact some days very sedentary so any higher calorie intake would result in my putting ON weight.

Thanks for your concern anyway... :)