Frozen shoulder

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi
I was just wondering if any has ever had frozen shoulder and what they did to get rid of it. About 8 months ago it started (7 months) before being told I was type 2.
All the doctor said was take anti inflammatorys as pulled a muscle but when I saw the nurse at my first appointment she said it was frozen shoulder and to go back the doctors
Any advise as on hot water bottle seem to help tablets do nothing
Kirsty

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
Hi @Kt0905
I have experienced frozen shoulder a few times over the years
For me it started as being quite uncomfortable no matter what position my arm and shoulder was in , and progressed to not being able to lift my arm even to straight out in front of me.

after about 9-15 months like that the pain starts to lessen and my shoulder starts to work better ( never get 100% )
I have had this 3 times in my left and twice in my right in the last 28 years .

physio did not seem to help me much either.

Ann1982

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a frozen boulder after a very minor car accident. Didn't get any physio or pin killers at that time. Now after 10 years have been left with "age related muscular degeneration " I did request physio and got a great deal of help. Think you should ask to try that alternatively the Nhs site regarding muscular skeletal disorders (MSK) might help. Hope you feel better soon

Reactions: Kt0905

daisyduck

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had this twice, once each side ! Mine recovered on it's own, but does take up to a year!
I asked my doctor what could be done and he said they sometimes treat it by numbing and then serious manipulation.. which will hurt when the numbness wears off. .. I went home and did a similar thing.. took a good dose of ibuprofen and then cleaned all the windows ! I'm not recommending you do that, but gentle manipulation and keeping it as mobile as possible does help.

Kt0905

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thank you, I have been trying to stretch it out every night after the hot water bottle and that seems to make it a bit more flexible
Cheers

MaxRebo001

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I've had it 3 times, twice on the left shoulder, once on the right, each time it has taken around 18 months to heal, I do have the vast majority of my range of movement in both shoulders, but I did loose a lot of muscle, which hasn't come back from normal use. I did have physio for a while but I was told it was more for when things get better to maximise movement, not whilt the shoulder was frozen. the exercise was to place my forearm against a wall and apply pressure,

I don't know if it helped but the fact i can lift both arms above my head with ease, i will do the exercises again should it re-occur.