Pains in Legs

Beulah_ES

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I was wondering what people are taking for tingling and numbness followed by shooting pains in their legs. The GP has prescribed an anti-epilepsy drug but the common side effects are pretty drastic and fill three pages.

Freema

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
sad to hear you have that problem, many in here have mentioned similar problems, some have reversed it by going very low carb and getting their blood glucose down to a non diabetic level, but maybe you are there already....I know my own mother uses gabapentin for neurological problems in her legs, and she does not have any side effects at all from that specifical medication.. maybe yours is another kind..

Last edited:

tigerlily72

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was wondering what people are taking for tingling and numbness followed by shooting pains in their legs. The GP has prescribed an anti-epilepsy drug but the common side effects are pretty drastic and fill three pages.

My Dr prescribed gabapentin for "suspected nerve pain" which started as a burning and tingling in one of my lower legs - this has now progressed to other parts of my body (stinging and tingling) and my gabapentin was recently doubled to 600mg three times a day. I'm not totally convinced it's neuropathy but am waiting on a neurology appointment.

What have you been prescribed?

Reactions: Freema

Liam1955

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Anti-Gay People, Self Centre People, Two Faced People and Bad Language.
@Beulah_ES - Pregabalin is sometimes prescribed for Neuropathic Pain. I was taking it for Sciatica and it had some effect in stopping the tingling down the back of my leg, which felt like someone pouring boiling water down my leg. I know too well what discomfort you must suffer. Hope it starts to ease for you.