really dry mouth

blarm44

hello everyone ,

I want to ask a question about a really dry mouth that I have had for around 6 weeks now.My doctor told me i have pre -diabetes and i am going to see him again next week to see if i have the full blown diabetes.however could someone tell me how i can stop this dry mouth.i am eating a low gi diet and exercising like mad.I've tested my fasting blood sugars (6.7) and am losing weight because of my new exercise regime.nothing seems to help the dry mouth though .any advice would be welcome.I know its not the meds I'm currently taking as i've been on them years without any side effects.

reagrds
andy

Franky69uk

Hi I would be more than interested in the answer to that question. I have the same problem. Its at its worst during the night. I wake up with a terrible dry mouth drink water and go back to sleep then a few hours later wake up with the same problem and so it continues. Have spoken to the doc about it. He tells me its not caused by medication or diabetes but was unable to offer an answer other then to prescribe a " Lemon flavoured Synthetic saliva" which I hate taking.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There are many causes of dry mouth, many are not Diabetes related. Even though you may have been on medication for years that doesn't mean that your body hasn't changed.....it could still be medications. Sometimes the effects just decide to appear for no real reason that is apparent. Your body decides it is allergic to something.

Have a read of this article and the associated links:

http://www.medicinenet.com/dry_mouth/article.htm

Ken

dorcas61

Dislikes
Bad manners, bullying
I get this too, but in my case it was one of the symptoms that led to my diagnosis -

- I'm not on meds or insulin, just a locarb diet and more walking - and two months after diagnosis (and weight loss!) the dry mouth has eased, it only happens once or twice a week now.