Finally back to normal after ~2.5 hrs battling a hypo

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Today was the day for a new gym class which was a little bit more intense than I was expecting, leading to a hypo that just wouldn't budge, staying steady at 4 for about 20 mins before deciding to plummet again but have now been over 5.5 for half an hour! Yay but this means I am drained and feeling like a zombie, combined with a big talk at work am feeling not very ready or excited for tonight's shift (have to motivate people). I am torn between telling work or not as I don't want it to seem as if I'm making excuses for things not going to plan but it has really taken it all out of me. Any advice?

novorapidboi26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
If your really not up for it don't force yourself.....especially if your job is physical in anyway.....

is it?

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Isjoberg hi that's a long time getting your sugars back up sounds like a nasty one is there any way you could perhaps have a night off just to make sure your sugars stay stable ?

bobneil

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm in the same boat, but to a lesser extent. I was at an 11.7 about 2.5 hours after breakfast, which confused me greatly because it was the same meal and dose as usual, and I went outside to shovel the driveway which took 15 minutes. I sat down for an hour reading a book and then checked, and I was at a 3.7 (no symptoms) so I ate stuff without dosing, and half an hour after that I was still just at a 4.0 so I had a chocolate.

Dairygrade

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Having diabetes
Hi again isjoberg if you don't mind can I ask how long you've had diabetes and what insulin you use I'm on Novo rapid +lantus although it hasn't happened to me it got me interested thanks.

Reactions: isjoberg

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!
I've been diabetic for 20 years this April and use levemir and novorapid mdi.
I've never had a situation like this really before and I did work the shift, just kept checking my bg at regular intervals and gave a slightly smaller bolus for lunch and dinner. Worked out fine but am absolutely exhausted now!

WHM

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi isjoberg

Sorry to hear about your long lasting hypo, I have had similar episodes in the past. I once had a hypo which just didn't respond to lucozade, energy bars and assorted fruit for the best part of 2 hours. I had been hiking in the Peak District for some time in very muddy conditions but had eaten extra carbs whilst walking but still had a very long unpleasant hypo and like you felt awful for many hours afterwards. In those days I was on basal / bolus regime (novorapid & Lantus). For the last six years I have been using a pump and I'm pleased to say that I have had no such severe hypos since despite still exercising regularly. The big difference being the ability to alter my basal rate prior to and during exercise. The big problem with long acting insulin is that once given there is no ability to adjust anything other than eating more carbs which often isn't easy during an exercise class.
I really can't recommend pump therapy enough especially where strenuous activity is involved, it makes glycaemic control so much easier. If you think that may help in your situation it may be very worthwhile speaking to your local diabetes clinic. All the best

Reactions: azure

isjoberg

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi isjoberg

Sorry to hear about your long lasting hypo, I have had similar episodes in the past. I once had a hypo which just didn't respond to lucozade, energy bars and assorted fruit for the best part of 2 hours. I had been hiking in the Peak District for some time in very muddy conditions but had eaten extra carbs whilst walking but still had a very long unpleasant hypo and like you felt awful for many hours afterwards. In those days I was on basal / bolus regime (novorapid & Lantus). For the last six years I have been using a pump and I'm pleased to say that I have had no such severe hypos since despite still exercising regularly. The big difference being the ability to alter my basal rate prior to and during exercise. The big problem with long acting insulin is that once given there is no ability to adjust anything other than eating more carbs which often isn't easy during an exercise class.
I really can't recommend pump therapy enough especially where strenuous activity is involved, it makes glycaemic control so much easier. If you think that may help in your situation it may be very worthwhile speaking to your local diabetes clinic. All the best
Every time I've asked I've been told I'm v unlikely to ever qualify for a pump which is a shame as I've heard from so many how amazing it can be! Got to keep asking however :)