flippin annoyed

loopy-loo

It's not often I go out, but recently I have had three separate episodes where I have been served a 'fat coke' rather than the diet one specifically ordered. :evil:

It has always been from the "mixer taps" but as they go to dispense I really stress the fact I have ordered a diet mixer. so it's either the dippy bar-staff or a maybe a problem with the way it is delivered?

Each time this has happened, the bar staff have been very apologetic, however I haven't realised until it's too late and have done a bg test out of curiousity, generally because I have suddenly got a thumping head, and discovered my levels are 16+ :shock:

Luckily, as a T1, I am able to correct with an insulin shot, (also, lucky in the fact I can actually test in the first place - as I realise this is an issue with T2's in some PCT's) but it totally buggers up the evening!

Was wondering if anyone else had encountered this problem and what happened.

regards

lindsey

DiabeticGeek

This sort of thing should, of course, never happen. However, given that it does, and that it is better to find out before rather than after the damage is done - why not carry some urine glucose dip sticks? If you dip them in your drink then diet drinks should not react, but full sugared ones will. Better than a ******** up evening!

loopy-loo

good thinkin batman! :D

Do I need a presciption or can you just buy them OTC.

Also -will it make any difference being mixed with alcohol?

Thanks for the tip. :lol:

chocoholic

I too have had this happen on several occassions.Hubby always gets really cross with staff who mess up the order because he worries about me. Now, I tend to avoid Diet Coke and go for good old water instead.

KimSuzanne

I've had that before so many times I can now smell the difference - I know it sounds wierd but try it you might get some odd looks at the bar but its a good party trick!

donnamum

DiabeticGeek
-
why not carry some urine glucose dip sticks? If you dip them in your drink then diet drinks should not react, but full sugared ones will. Better than a ******** up evening
!

What an exellent idea. We were advised not give diet coke to daughter due to this problem. This has resulted in us not going local pub as they didn't have anythink she could drink. With no childacre as everyone is to scared to look after her and not even being able to enjoy a country walk like we used too, as we love to go walking and pop into pub on way back, this advice has really made my weekend.

Thankyou very very much.

Katharine

I use diastix for this very purpose. You can have them prescribed. You can reuse a stix as long as it has tested negative (don't put it back in the cylinder though).

loopy-loo

Thanks for the info re clinistix, :D

I will def be ordering some of those, or asking my dsn for a script.

Not sure about using my meter strips - I seem to get through an awful lot already, as I am really trying to gain control of my bgs using low carb etc, thats why it's so annoying when things like that happen, you are at the mercy of whomever is seving you.

cheers :)
lindsey

sofaraway

I've had this happen several times lately, I can usually tell by the taste and only been caught out once when I was drinking pepsi max, which does taste very similar to normal coke.
I use my meter now to test my drinks, if it's diet then it comes up as LO, if it's a normal one it will come up with a number usually 15- HI.
I usually take it to the bar and get it changed have never had a problem, usually just say I ordered a diet coke and this isn't. Haven't actually had to explain that I'm diabetic before.

DiabeticGeek

sofaraway said:
I use my meter now to test my drinks
Great if you have unlimited strips on prescription. Otherwise urine dipsticks are a lot cheaper, and if you reuse them then the cost will be pretty negligible.

gefmayhem

Dislikes
salad
I like a nice vodka and diet coke and always used to get the coke from the mixer taps.
While I wasn't positive, I do think I'd been served full fat coke instead on a number of occasions - this can be caused by the wrong syrup being attached to the machine either in error or on purpose. so even if they staff assure you that its the diet coke boutton they are using, it isn't always diet coke that comes out.

My solution was to order a vodka and ice and a can of diet coke.
As my can lasts me two to three vodkas it can often work out less expensive than the stuff from the mixers - double bonus

Graham55

ALWAYS ask for any drink in a bottle and you want the bottle and a glass.
When ordering from a mixer pump you get what is in the pipe first before the diet bit so you get full fat coke before the diet comes through, this could be as much as half a glass.
I was cought out this way, never again.