Carb Counter

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a carb counter app or such like? And how many grams of carbs should I be looking to fall under?

Thanks

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I made up a notebook with the things I ate and the percentage of carbs - you might be able to find an app, but you'd need to have it with you when shopping and cooking - the tiny notebook was always there are available - and never needed its batteries charged.
You need to find out your personal level of carb consumption by testing your BG two hours after eating and reducing the carbs until you get normal levels. You might find that you have to avoid the 'heavies' such as bread rice pasta potato, and the sweet fruits. I can't eat legumes without a big reaction, so a few peas or green beans are all I can eat, but there are other things which don't cause such large reactions even though they contain the same amount of carbs.

spaxman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I made up a notebook with the things I ate and the percentage of carbs - you might be able to find an app, but you'd need to have it with you when shopping and cooking - the tiny notebook was always there are available - and never needed its batteries charged.
You need to find out your personal level of carb consumption by testing your BG two hours after eating and reducing the carbs until you get normal levels. You might find that you have to avoid the 'heavies' such as bread rice pasta potato, and the sweet fruits. I can't eat legumes without a big reaction, so a few peas or green beans are all I can eat, but there are other things which don't cause such large reactions even though they contain the same amount of carbs.

Thank you for taking the time. Much appreciated.

Alison Campbell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
carbs and cals app and book, my fitness pal app, cronometer app are mentioned regularly on the forum. What ever you use make sure it has info for the country you are in. The US count carbs differently to UK

I used MFP which was accurate enough for me, along with some common sense.

HTH

Reactions: pms543

TallLeeds

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I used a great one which worked a treat. ..after 3 months of use I'm non diabetic. It's called No Carbs....just don't eat them. Don't buy them. Don't put them in your mouth. Eat veg instead of the rice, flour, starch....Carbs are bad for T2Ds. It works....and it's alot easier than counting stuff. 0 is a great number to work with,it tells you how much you can have. None. Read the LCHF diet advice and stick to it. And....I didn't use a meter. It adds stress and time to our lives. Follow the dietary advice and get your bloods checked monthly at your surgery, as I did. Testing can make you neurotic. Calm down and follow the rules. Good luck.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Carbs and Cals is an excellent book and app. Available from Amazon and not expensive. I have no problem with the book. I don't need to take it shopping with me!

It shows thousands of different foods in colour photos served up on a plate. It gives the weight, amount of carbs, calories, fats, protein and fibre. It was my bible when I first started and I still use it now after over 3 years.

You can also use the nutrition labels on packaged foods and look for "total carbs" per 100g. You can ignore the "of which sugars" as they are included in the total. Then use your common sense as to how much of that packet/tin/jar you are going to eat at one go and calculate how many carbs that will come to. As the amount per 100g is actually the percentage, this makes it easy. 10g per 100g is 10%, so 10% of your portion is carbs.

You can also use supermarket websites, manufacturer's websites, growers websites. Doctor Google will find these for you. The major supermarket websites now show all their products with all the ingredients and nutrients detailed, including carb content.