Who is troubled by injecting in public? Just me?

PI3.14

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, it does :)

I felt self-conscious at first, but that gradually went away :) The more you do it, the easier it becomes.

Totally agree. I'm not sure if it's just been time or changes in technology but it's less of an issue now. When I was first diagnosed there weren't insulin pens and disposable syringes were VERY hard to get so you used sterilised glass syringes stored in methylated spirits which you then rinsed with freshly boiled water before drawing up the insulin. When I started uses pens my anxiety about injecting in public disappeared. Now I see that my managing my diabetes in public is the public's issue and not mine

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
injecting in public was an issue for me back in the 1970's but as time has gone on -- I just think- to anyone that stares or says anything ---- "get a life "

I don't do this for fun ............

survey completed -- on a pump so a couple answers are irrelevant from me to do with injections per day .......

Last edited:

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
For the first couple of years I would inject in private so as not to bother anyone.

When I realised that <[!^$@#*nobody*#@$^!]> noticed me "disappearing" before meals, day in day out, unless they were aware I was diabetic, it hit me that nobody was paying me any attention at all. After that I just started injecting discreetly and don't know if anyone noticed either.

Oh, and I filled out the survey. Cheers!

Sarebear86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Just answered a survey for you! Never had any problems whipping out my pen or blood testing kit in front of anyone, normally people are genuinely just interested in what you are doing. Today for example, I went to a restaurant and had a burger and asked the waiter if he could find out the sugar content of the BBQ sauce that was slathered all over it, he came back with the bottle from the kitchen and asked why I wanted to know and I explained as I dialled up my pen there and then and jabbed it in my tummy! He didn't even blink

Reactions: Ledzeptt and himtoo

stanfordsteve

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now it's pretty easy to be discreet as the pens are compact and easy to set and use. The tiny needles are not easy to see at a distance, either, and the pen box is slim-ish and fairly stylish though not exactly fashionable. I'm really not at all bothered these days and people rarely notice. Mostly in restaurants folks are too busy enjoying company and food to even look at others. But years ago it was a very different thing. That old glass & metal syringe in a tube of alcohol plus a drain pipe sized needle were very difficult to hide. I used an old tobacco tin that was big enough in which to keep the syringe tube, spare needles and the insulin vial plus swabs. I had to pump the syringe dry of alcohol, fix or re-fix the needle then draw up the dose. Hated it and had to plan ahead or panic if I couldn't find somewhere to inject. I rarely went out to eat anywhere and then only with friends or family.

The only incident I can recall when someone really noticed was quite some years ago. I was with a friend in a department store café and needed to inject using, what was then, a new fangled pen. There was a woman sitting opposite with a young girl. Both noticed what I was doing but the woman seemed to realise things were 'legitimate' and reassured the girl that I was not up to no good.

sweetbloodsher

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
cilantro, liver, rudeness, cruelty, impatience, prejudice, hatred. kale
Hi all,

A doctor once told me that injecting would gradually become "like shaving", somehow normalised by routine. While I can decide whether to let loose and grow a wild beard—the same cannot be said for diabetes. And also, who shaves in public?

I've never had anyone stare, yet I find the act of injecting in public alienating, sometimes anxiety-inducing, and often impractical, regardless of the 10 seconds the act requires. Injecting doesn't stop me from living life, but I have noticed this recurrent trend.

As I feel alone in this act that others (non-diabetics) do not have to perform, and as such have not been able to speak openly and discuss this issue, I am now doing a small behavioural study linked to my postgraduate research at university. I am extremely interested in how people who require insulin injections feel about doing so in public. I'd like to get something concrete on this matter.

I have put together a small survey that really only takes two mins to complete. There are two versions of the survey. You can complete both if they apply.

The first is for people with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/qgyDLjl2BzjXeYyV2

The second is for a parent/guardian or partner of a person with diabetes: https://goo.gl/forms/32IKoZ9Pmo027tz32

I would be eternally grateful to you if you help me out! Let me know if you'd be interested in seeing the results too. But also, feel free to share your thoughts in the thread!
Well, I just had the lovely experience of checking my blood sugar with a meter on a plane next to a stranger. Not sure, but had the feeling he was not pleased or entertained. Doing this, of course, is harder than injecting, which I do pretty quickly and, of course, through my clothes in public (thigh is easier for me than stomach). Not even sure if anyone is looking b/c I'm concentrating on getting it over with. The easiest situation is under the table in a restaurant. The worst has been in a public toilet stall. I would not recommend balancing a meter on your lap, seat belt fastened, etc.

Reactions: Ledzeptt
D

Deleted Account

I am on a pump now but answered your survey from the point of view of an injector. That said, it would be interesting to know if pumpers have similar issues: personally, I like that I have less paraphernalia to carry around but hate the bulge in my clothing all the time. Dialling up a dose is less of an issue.
Regarding injecting, I had little problem once I got used to it. Some people never noticed (I would inject when others were distracted) and those who did, would be interested so I took it as an opportunity to educate them about diabetes as a kind of "diabetes doesn't stop me" advocate.
The only time I was concerned was injecting around small children. My concern was twofold: being knocked as they get a bit boisterous and trying to work out how to explain diabetes to a 3 year old.

islelassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good luck with your questionnaire - I've completed it. I may be old and confident enough not to care, but I'll inject in public without a care.

I don't compare it to shaving, but to taking another form of medication. Who cares if I pop a couple of pills with a glass of water? No one would bat an eyelid.

I know there have been horror stories from "outraged" diners in "posh" restaurants, but I've not experienced anyone even noticing (or at least they're polite enough to pretend not to notice).

islelassie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Well, I just had the lovely experience of checking my blood sugar with a meter on a plane next to a stranger. Not sure, but had the feeling he was not pleased or entertained. Doing this, of course, is harder than injecting, which I do pretty quickly and, of course, through my clothes in public (thigh is easier for me than stomach). Not even sure if anyone is looking b/c I'm concentrating on getting it over with. The easiest situation is under the table in a restaurant. The worst has been in a public toilet stall. I would not recommend balancing a meter on your lap, seat belt fastened, etc.
My son in law who is a Scrub Nurse in a well known hospital was told he couldn't inject in the staff room due to complaints from other nursing staff. If hospitals can't accommodate their diabetic staff what hope is there for public venues to do so?

EngineerMe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Completed the survey :)

I was diagnosed 11 years ago and I used to find injecting in public really nerve-racking, often going to the toilets to inject if I was out. I'm a lot more confident injecting in public now as I realised that no ones really paying attention and I shouldn't care anyway as I need to do it to live.

The only times I still struggle are meetings/meals with new people as I feel I need to explain what I'm doing, and places where there isn't anywhere convenient to sit down and inject like in a crowded pub.

tim2000s

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Other
My answer has always been "I don't care if you don't like needles/are scared of injecting/any other excuse you might have for not wanting to watch me inject, you always have the option to look away or move. I have to inject." I take great relish in the fact that for some people in public this can make them uncomfortable. But then, they don't need to look...

And I think, in the context of work, if someone raised an objection, I'd be having an interesting conversation with management about upholding my rights as someone with a disability. You don't ban someone with a wheelchair from entering a staffroom because someone doesn't like it. Is it acceptable that you ban someone from injecting something that keeps them alive for the same reason, when in both cases, it has absolutely no impact on those other people?

Tony337

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Not being on holiday....
Its silly i know but i'm more self conscious in Mcdonalds............

I'm coeliacs and type 1 and on the odd time and i mean odd time i visit mcdonalds with family i ask for a quarter pounder meal without the bun.
This is recognized by the coeliacs society as being gluten free.
My meal is on a plastic tray with knife and fork.
The looks i get are far more uncomfortable to me than whipping out my insulin..............

Tony

gristy

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, sorry to hear you get anxious over injecting in public. I've only been injecting for a short time but I've got no issues with doing it in public. If anyone has a problem with it I happily explain it to them what I'm doing and why. I liken it to someone using an asthma inhaler, nobody bats an eyelid at that and this should be no different.
As to anyone who stares, tuts, comments etc if you're injecting in public, their behaviour says volumes about them and absolutely nothing about you.
Stay strong and do whatever you are comfortable with. This condition is enough of a fight without letting small minded people affect you.
Ps Sorry about the long rant but I hate people being made to feel uncomfortable due to others small mindedness!
Pps I've done the survey, good luck with the study

Reactions: Ledzeptt and PI3.14

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi there,

Just completed the questionnaire. Mine is super long-winded but I like to give too much info than not enough! (...) I half think it's because it's unusual and they're at an age where they understand they can say if they don't like something. However, I figure they should learn it's normal in case any kids in their school have it. And a lot of the time they don't realise it's done until they see me clippingthe needle :)

Thanks for completing the questionnaire with such rich answers! Re the kids.. they are lucky to have a person like you around!

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was out with my therapy group on a shopping trip a couple of weeks ago. We ended up getting ice cream and sat outside with the ice cream to eat it in the little bit of sun we had that day. I told everyone I had to inject and they were very encouraging. "Do what you gotta do! Nobody's business but you're own."
(....)

For most people, I think, they don't give a care as to what you are doing when you are injecting. They likely don't even notice, or, as people have said, they make it their business as a polite individual not to notice or draw unnecessary attention.

The people sad enough to comment on what you're doing really have nothing much better to do. I doubt their much concerned with the state of their own lives. What matters is that you keep yourself healthy and do your best to carry on.

Last edited:

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Totally agree. I'm not sure if it's just been time or changes in technology but it's less of an issue now. (....) Now I see that my managing my diabetes in public is the public's issue and not mine

So glad to hear that you experience no issues. :) I think you are perhaps right in suggesting that your experience is a combined generational/technological effect in the switch from syringes to pens. A syringe, even by today's standards, seems so... medieval. I think many children and young teens, however, still experience public diabetes management as a social issue

Reactions: PI3.14

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
My son in law who is a Scrub Nurse in a well known hospital was told he couldn't inject in the staff room due to complaints from other nursing staff. If hospitals can't accommodate their diabetic staff what hope is there for public venues to do so?

I find the fact that this happened absolutely bemusing and utterly counterproductive

doyoutakesugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, sorry to hear you get anxious over injecting in public. I've only been injecting for a short time but I've got no issues with doing it in public. If anyone has a problem with it I happily explain it to them what I'm doing and why. I liken it to someone using an asthma inhaler, nobody bats an eyelid at that and this should be no different.
As to anyone who stares, tuts, comments etc if you're injecting in public, their behaviour says volumes about them and absolutely nothing about you.
Stay strong and do whatever you are comfortable with. This condition is enough of a fight without letting small minded people affect you.
Ps Sorry about the long rant but I hate people being made to feel uncomfortable due to others small mindedness!
Pps I've done the survey, good luck with the study

PREACH! Thanks for the motivational words. Thank you also for completing the survey!