I am desperate to stop smoking

stuartshaw

hi, i gave up after 25 years of smoking, i all i did was read a book. The easy way to stop smoking by Alan Carr, not the chatty man one. i too was in the position to give up after my father died from lung cancer, that and the book was all the incentive i needed. i have now give for almost 18 years it does get easier with time. good luck steve, you have all the incentive now go for it.

Lisa65

Sue Morton said:
I love my ciggies they have been my friend and stay in stressful times never having any one to back me up and help me fight my battles even though I have friends

I kind of felt the same as you Sue. I found this very helpful in changing that mindset. (just remove the space between the // and the whyquit to go there)

whyquit.com/joel/Joel_02_01_my_cig_my_friend.html

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Steve if you realy are desperate to stop smoking as in op then the remedy is in your hands.This going to sound harsh , I am an ex smoker so I can empathise , BUT!You are the one buying the cigs,you are the one putting them in your mouth ,you are the one lighting them.There are many avenues of help out there BUT it comes down to you in the end. Cigs are not your friend they are your enemy trying to kill you :mrgreen: Dont let em.You can beat them .You have lots of support on this forum
CAROL

Dollyrocker

This is a great thread for those of us trying to quit, heatring outher people's success stories is very motivational.

I have made it through my second week of not smoking (well, I will have at 16.30) and while friday/saturday have been the hardest days so far I do feel like I'm making a lot of progress and I'm sure it's going to get a lot easier.

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Good luck and congratulations to all those who are trying to give up smoking. As an ex smoker myself, almost 10yrs, i know how challenging it is. Every New Year like thousands of others i went cold turkey and every year i lasted about 5 days!! Then i decide to set a time every day when i could first light up, 8am for 5 days then 9pm for 5 days and so on, by the time i reached 9pm i found that it was maybe 9.30 by the time i'd lit up. Before i knew it 11pm had come and gone and i was ready for bed minus a fag. It worked for me and shear willpower was a huge factor, and as a woman, yes i treated myself to something every 5 days for reaching my goal time. I put on 2 stone, but 7 yrs later i was thankful for giving up smoking, i had a chronic asthma attack and was bad enough for them to think of ventilating me, i pulled through, but seriously doubt i would have if i'd still been smoking.
I know when trying to give up smoking your all willing to try anything, so give it a go, and i hope it works.
best of luck,
Suzi x

Lisa65

well done Dolly. It really does get easier, especially once you notice that the benefits are outweighing the bad bits.
Go for a walk in the fresh air and notice how much better your sense of smell is, and how much easier it is to breathe :)

Dippy3103

It has been a month and a day for me today. I won't pretend that it gas been easy. However I do feel better for not smoking. I can breathe easier and my sense of smell is better.
I think what was different for me this time was I really wanted to quit instead of quitting because I thought I should.
It is so worth it even a month in.
Good luck to all my fellow quitters .