Itchy scalp!

Saimalicious

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all....does anyone else notice their scalp has become drier and itchy since being diagnosed? Is it the illness or metphormin? Its driving me crazy!!

Reactions: 2 people

13lizanne

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
The Gym, + unkindness and rudeness
Yes, I had an itchy scalp through losing hair around the time of my diagnosis, in fact that's one of the reasons I went to GP My hair and scalp since then indicate the state of my health. If my BG levels are low and steady my hair is thick, wavy and shiny and the reverse is also true. I'm using a chemical free shampoo which seems to help with the dryness. Liz Earle (expensive) and Organic Surge ( cheaper) do good ones. You might give that a try, you will, of course, be trying to reduce your BG levels which is the biggest thing of course :)

Enclave

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Your not around children .. Are you .. have you ruled out nits .... Not saying it could be ..but rule out the most common causes first ... You could have a word with your pharmacist about any medication you are taking that could cause the itching... Keeping your blood sugars are in the normal range should help.

Saimalicious

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Thanks for the replies...ive checked and its not nits...i recently had a check up with doc and BG is at a good level. I will certainly look into chemical free shampoos. Itch itch!

Jessica120714

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I get this too, sometimes with stress I find or if I'm really tired. Haven't noticed a connection to my blood sugars though x

azure

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thanks for the replies...ive checked and its not nits...i recently had a check up with doc and BG is at a good level. I will certainly look into chemical free shampoos. Itch itch!

Some people who have sensitive scalps use shampoos that are free from sodium lauryl sulphate (have a Google). I've tried them and they're good (I used one called Naked). I thought I had an allergy but now I think it was a build up from using the same shampoos. Switching shampoos every so often helped me.

Saimalicious

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Ive never had itchy scalp or dandruff before being diagnosed and taking medication...thats why i thought it could be a side effect from metphormin as it started soon after taking the drug. I do change my shampoos anyway and have done so for years. #mystery

Reactions: 4 people

jal16

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Morning all....does anyone else notice their scalp has become drier and itchy since being diagnosed? Is it the illness or metphormin? Its driving me crazy!!
Hi, I got this whenever I was stressed. Basically the best shampoo I have found and although expensive it does work immediately and you don't have to use it every wash, is by Davines which is an italian brand. I first came across it in a hairdressers but order it online now. Its about 14 pounds for 250ml but really soothes your scalp and smells fresh. "Davines Natural Tech Anti Purifying dandruff Shampoo". I tried so many shampoos including medicated and herbal and this was the only one that worked for me, my scalp felt like it was burning before it was so itchy. Good luck :)

dms1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Faith in Nature and Dr Bronner's pure castille liquid soap are also good. Get them from health food shops. A little goes a long way.

Tom Cosens

I have been T2 for 3 years and aged 81. I take Metformin and Gliclazide. My scalp has itched for months but in last few weeks my whole body itches. Reading the side effects of Metformin I am sure that M is the culprit. When I speak to the Doctor and Diabetic nurse they say that they have not known itchiness caused by M.. My Dotor has given me creams for my arms that have hives / red spots but this does not get to the route of the problem. It appears that there is no alternative to M and I have to put up with the side effects. Am considering reducing my M and increasing the G and monitor blood sugar carefully so as not to get an hypo. Thomas

Reactions: pcs63

uptome

Type of diabetes
Type 2
If you are experiencing this much discomfort, talk to your diabetic nurse or GP. keep track of the carbs you intake.