Newbie Introduction

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
I would suggest buying the SD Codefree meter as the strips are the cheapest and a separate meter for testing ketones. You should be tesitng your blood sugar multiple times a day whereas you'll probably test your ketones less often so the cost of test strips should be the main driver.
The SD Codefree is available here
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

I just bought 10 boxes of strips (500 in all) for £58.98 using the bulk buy discount code,
5 packs = 264086
10 packs = 975833
which is less than 12p per test..
For ketone measurement I got a CareSens Dual from Spirit Healthcare where 10 ketone strips cost £9.95. As you can see they are more expensive.. also the glucose strips for this meter which does measure both are also £9.95 for 50 so 20p per test.
If you are interested in/aiming at being in ketosis then you will need to restrict your carbohydrate intake quite drastically. Most people have to consume less than 20g of carbs a day to ensure they are in the right range.
***** 5 packs = 264086, this code no longer works, anyone?

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
***** 5 packs = 264086, this code no longer works, anyone?
Did you all the way through almost to the end? It usually discounts just before payment.. I just bought 500 strips and the 10 pack code worked for me.

Mark_1

Hi, my name is Pete. I live in west Devon but originally come from Birmingham.

Two days ago I had a phone call from my GP's secretary to tell me I am now Type 2 diabetic with a reading of 48, which meant nothing to me, but I suppose it was no surprise.
I am 65 now, but I have been on a long journey with metabolic syndrome, starting with high blood pressure and medication since I was 25. My weight has been a life long problem but I have been in the normal range several times thanks to Scarsdale diets, then around 2005 my GP told me I had very high Triglycerides measuring 22 and put me on 267mg Fenofibrate to bring it within a normal range.

In 2010 I had a minor heart attack, a couple of stents popped in after stress testing showed the need, and the consultant started me on Atorvastatin (commenting he didn't understand why my GP had not already done so). I took the opportunity to retire after this and did a 3 times a week monitored course at the hospital Action Heart Gym for just over 15 months.
Early in 2012 I was hospitalised with SVT and a pulse of 220 bpm but was treated only by increasing my Bisoprolol (one of my 3 blood pressure medications then) to 7.5 mg which seems to have sorted the SVT since.

Over the past couple of years we have been moving down to Devon involving temporary relocation, house searching and virtually no exercise, hence my weight has ballooned from an already heavy 16 stone to 19 st. 12 lbs a few days ago (my heaviest ever and not good for a 5' 11" male). Then in November 2016 I developed swollen legs and ankles and cellulitis. Legs are still somewhat swollen despite 25mg Spironolactone tablets I have been on since.

My diagnosis has explained a lot of the symptoms I have been experiencing over the past few years, particularly so many night time trips to the bathroom!
I have been following the research and critiques on statins for the past year or so, and this has overlapped things like LCHF diet and healthy fats. I stopped using PUFa's and reverted to butter, lard, dripping and olive oil about a year ago, then gradually cut down and stopped taking Atorvastatin two months ago. My GP doesn't like this, but I have had no cramps since stopping and we will review the cholesterol figures and research when we meet in November.

I'm totally up for the challenge of reversing my type 2 diagnosis by LCHF diet alone, but my first diabetic clinic appointment is not until 12th June so I will wait to see what they suggest/offer. Would love to hear views of forum members on this question.
In fact, I have been doing LCHF for a couple of days already and pleased to see the loss of 5 pounds.

This will be tough for me haha. I am a keen 'foodie' and my main hobby is cooking, particularly baking bread and pastry lol. I buy my flour in 16Kg bags from Shipton Mill. Add to that my other half is Filipino and hence heavy rice and pasta lover and you get an idea of the challenge :)
My worst fear was that I would have to give up alcohol. I gave up whiskey after my heart attack but a few beers and wines have crept back into my diet over the years. Research yesterday seems to show beer has got to go, but wine is fine - relieved (pheew)!

Finally, from reading forum posts, sounds like we have to buy our own monitors and test strips due to NHS lack of funding. Your recommendations here would be particularly welcome. I would quite like a machine that could also test ketones as well as blood glucose to see when I am burning fat - or is that a waste of time/money? Are the test strips proprietary to the brands of machine or can any strips be used in any machine?

The forum here is packed with so much information and I have been reading for hours in the past few days. What a great resource! Congratulations to you all.
Hope to get to know a few of you as my journey progresses,

Pete

There are loads of recipes for low carb bread about and you could try cauliflower rice. Do a search for low carb recipes, if you like cooking there are loads of great new ones for you to try. Almond or coconut flour is a good alternative.
Drinks wise, shorts with a low calorie mixer, red wines are generally OK, dry white wine but not sweet, Marstons Resolution is a good low carb beer, coors lite is lower carb and available in a few pubs. Maybe give up drinking though in the short term until you get your weight down a bit.

DevonVee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi Devon Pete
Don't worry you are not alone
Can see Haytor from village and panoramic view of other Tors on a clear day.
You will love it.
Just persist with lchf. Made a huge difference in quite a short space of time although have lapsed lately as I am trying to move house to Bovey Tracey.

al_leister

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Greedy Humans.....greedy animals I don't mind. I do like meat and fish but choose not to eat it!
Did you all the way through almost to the end? It usually discounts just before payment.. I just bought 500 strips and the 10 pack code worked for me.
Thank you!