ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
Insulin is seen by our gps as a weight gainer. I was told as much when tablets stopped working.
Its how you use the insulin which makes the difference!

kokhongw

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the condition for weight/fats gain is simply the chronic presence of excess insulin/nutrients.

At a balance level, you will always stay in range.

The key point is that T2D generally have excessive delayed post meal insulin response during the early stages of diagnosis. It is like trying to drive with a loose steering wheel at the amusement park...easy to oversteer. Low carbing helps to minimize the over steering...

For others, they may need additional exercise, less fats, proteins etc depending on their condition.

My anecdotal experience with 18 months of low carb high fats (eggs, butter, roast port belly, nuts, cheese) and intermittent fasting with no exercise (< 1000steps /day) have kept my weight and glucose stable, with fasting glucose averaging around 5.5 mmol...post meal below 7 mmol.

But others may likely achieve the same if they find that the need more carbs to support their daily activity, mental alertnes and require more insulin to maintain glucose stability. They just have to figure out which is an easier and more sustainable path for them...

lhawksfield

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Dislikes
feeling angry and like a horrible person :(
It's not the insulin make you gain weight, its what you're eating and subsequently having to inject for that is making you gain weight. It will take time but the more excercise and smaller carb portions you eat the more sensitive you'll become to insulin again but it will take a long time to reverse the resistance you've built up. Your body has had to do this to use the amount of sugar you're eating and store the excess as fat but if it's a substantial amount your body will struggle to produce enough insulin too.

Don't give because you're on the right path and if you continue you doing what you're doing you'll turn a corner very soon and start seeing the benefits.

I used to not take my insulin to stay skinny (I'm type 1) I'd gotten used to running high so just accepted the exhaustion, fuzzy head and grumpiness but when I was told my initial very early stage retinopathy had progressed, then had a number of other mental and physical health issues I started managing my sugars properly and the initial and substantial weight gain and changes to my body really upset me even though I was doing the right thing but my body eventually got used to being fed and getting energy everyday to the point I needed less insulin and shifted some of the weight.

I'm now a very healthy BMI, happier, wiser and much much healthier... now expecting my first baby.

It may seem overwhelming and like it'll never end but it does and it gets better and you'll start feeling great and healthy and shifting weight soon, hang in there, you're a legend!

Xxxx

suejat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Type 1's cannot produce sufficient insulin. Type two's cannot use the insulin they produce. As insulin has two functions in the body, to facilitate the movement of glucose into the cells, and to store any excess glucose as fat it follows that type one diabetics will have less problem with weight control. It's true that keeping carbs as low as low as possible will help weight gain, but as most type two treatments consist of persuading the body to produce more insulin, in order to remove glucose from the bloodstream (both functions of insulin do this) as well as trying to increase the sensitivity of the cells to insulin, it does actually follow that insulin may make you fat, if you are type two. I have been using it for nearly a year, and have been struggling to keep weight down.. I have eaten low-carb for over ten years now, and have had to cut portions drastically to make any difference to the weight gain (approx 100 grams per week--- doesn't sound much until you think that it's 5 kilos over a year!) with insulin use. High intensity interval exercise helps to improve sensitivity, so there is hope.

Reactions: kokhongw

rankin3465

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi, I'm a type 1on insulin and last year started on 2000mg of metformin per day. Starting the metformin helped me lose weight and keep it off, turns out I was on high doses of Basel and Boles due to being insulin resistant which caused weight gain over a few years. This was something I never noticed until I done the Choices/dafne course.
May be worth a look into if you insulin to carb ratio in higher than 2units:10carbs. Before the metformin mine was 2.75u:10c now it's 1u:10c