Treating high blood sugar alone does not reduce diabetic complications

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I was watching The Two Big Lies of Type 2 Diabetes again around the 15 minute mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FcLoaVNQ3rc&t=861s

Dr Jason Fund mentions The ACCORD and ADVANCE studies (plus 2 others) where groups of people with tightly controlled blood sugars were compared with those without tight control. They found no difference with the prevalence of diabetic complications, but those tightly controlled had a 20% increased risk of death and 27% had increased weight. The tightly controlled group had people using insulin to control their type 2 diabetes.

If you watch at 21:11 he describes the Counterpoint Study by Dr Taylor at Newcastle University (Newcastle Diet) which showed that Insulin Resistance and Beta Cell Failure could be reversed using a very low calorie diet. The key seems to be to use fasting to reduce liver fat (which decreases insulin resistance) and eventually reduce pancreas fat (which then improves beta cell function).

Around 30:00 he describes the twin cycles hypothesis where excess carbs causes fatty liver and eventually fatty pancreas which causes type 2 diabetes. So he is saying that too much insulin causes type 2 diabetes, so using insulin to treat type 2 diabetes is counter-productive in the long term. His solution is to reduce carbs and use fasting to reverse type 2 diabetes.

The impression I get from watching this is that those with type 2 diabetes need to consider dietary changes and fasting to reduce fatty liver and fatty pancreas. Jason Fung uses low carb diets and fasting to get people with type 2 off all medication including insulin, which works in about 90% of cases. It is only once you have done this that the risk of diabetic complications diminishes.

Last edited:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
So Fung is a supporter of the Newcastle diet as a way of reversing type 2?
Can't argue there, it certainly worked for me.
I've always though it was the speed of weight low/calorie reduction that seems to be a critical part of the reversal.

Last edited:
Reactions: dbr10
D

Deleted member 388305

As I recall, the increased risk of death in these studies was associated with persons who achieved their glucose levels control with an aggressive medication program, which means that they were treating a number and not a cause. The reduction in carbs and the fasting address the cause, which is too much insulin or too long a time.

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have lived with a condition for over two decades that has excessive insulin in his blood. The imbalance of the hormones, especially insulin then glucose because of insulin resistance became a really serious illness, my health was taking me to the grave!
All my organs were fatty and in serious need of intervention.
The symptoms had me in a living hell! A hyper and hypo hell!
Hyperinsulinaemia or high insulin levels were killing me!

I have read a lot of medical papers on hyperinsulinaemia and there isn't the research or in most medical practitioners needs for testing for it. And from what I have read hyperinsulinaemia often leads to T2 diabetes. But it is rarely checked for!

Insulin like a lot of compounds or hormones are great in moderation, when in balance.
But excess insulin isn't definitely not good for you!

I have found through my trials and tribulations that the best way to lower insulin levels is by intermittent fasting and very low LCHF!

Art Of Flowers

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
As I recall, the increased risk of death in these studies was associated with persons who achieved their glucose levels control with an aggressive medication program, which means that they were treating a number and not a cause. The reduction in carbs and the fasting address the cause, which is too much insulin or too long a time.
Jason Fung does say in the video that type 2 diabetes is caused by excessive insulin in the system, so treating it with more insulin only makes matters worse. Too much carbohydrate causes insulin to deposit fat in the liver, which causes insulin resistance and then the pancreas goes overboard producing insulin to cope, but this is affected by fatty deposits in the pancreas which impairs beta cell function and you end up with high blood sugars.

The aggressive treatment of type 2 diabetes through drugs and insulin seems to make patients progressively more sick over time because it is treating the symptom (high blood sugar) rather than the cause (insulin resistance). A lot of these patients end up very obese because of insulin and their health and quality of life declines.

The cure for type 2 diabetes seems to be getting rid of all this excess visceral fat around the liver and pancreas and this requires ketosis through fasting. It seems quite easy to reverse type 2 diabetes to get blood sugars down to non-diabetic levels through a low carb diet, but if you want to take it further to get to full diabetes remission where you can tolerate carbs better then you need to consider intermittent fasting or a prolonged low calorie diet e.g. 800 calories/day for eight weeks.

Reactions: Fleegle