Sukkarto?

Holidaymad_

anybody been changed to this brand of metformin and having problems with weight? Usually on my weight reduction regime I lose a steady 2lb per week. Now I'm on this medication I'm losing sometimes 1/2lb a week and doing exactly the same as before. The only difference I can see is the change in medication. Just curious as to see if anybody else has noticed the same?

dogslife

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Unfairness/ use of offensive language.
I have been prescribed this brand of metformin for the last few months and have put on a pound or two but I don't think it's the medication. The basic ingredients are the same and in my case it's more likely to be a reduction in exercise due to back problems as my sugar levels have gone up too. Well done on the weight loss so far.

Holidaymad_

Maybe it's my metabolism slowing down then. I'm not sure. I've come from 10st 7lb down to 9st 11lb since the beginning of May but usually I lose 2lb a week. It is coming off but more slowly than usual, but still coming off which is good. I was just curious to the new medication as I started it around March/April time when my weight went up but I wasn't being good food wise. It's all a minefield.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
I may be reaching here...but this may be 'placebo effect'. Sometimes, being switched to a new and unknown medication can cause anxiety and a change in body chemistry. Do you have any underlying anxiety about the medication you are taking? Have you altered your diet activity levels?

Holidaymad_

No I don't have any anxiety about my meds just trying to connect the dots as to why I'm not losing weight at the rate I usually do. I go to the gym 5-6 times a week and have done for the last 2 years. I relaxed my eating too much after a holiday in April and put a bit of weight on, usually sit around 9st 7lb but went away at 10st and came back at 10st 7lb. Now back at 9st 11lb so nearly where I usually am but just coming off a lot more slowly than usual. I fluctuate between 9.7 and 10 stone. The only different thing is the sukkarto. Just received my glucose monitor this morning and going to start testing tomorrow. Got a serious kick up the **** with my diabetes since recieveing a background retinopathy letter. I thought having 6 monthly check ups at gp and having hba1c's in the low 40's plus regular exercise and not being overweight I was doing ok, now with complications starting it seems not. Reading these forums though it seems every man and his dog is on low carb diets and I find this so daunting and kind of makes me feel deflated. I am stressed about the background retinopathy not about the medication at all. Thanks for your replies so far.

D

Deleted member 388305

A couple of things. Exercise, while wonderful for a lot of things, is not a good way to try and lose weight long term, unless you train like an Olympic athlete. You can't make up for a poor diet with exercise. Weight gain or loss, long-term, is not a matter of calories in - calories out. If you think that it is only a number of calories game, then you believe that your body only cares about how many calories you eat and not what kind of calories they are. Few people would say that was true once it is considered (does anyone think there is no difference to your body whether you eat 1500 calories of chicken or 1500 calories of ice cream?). Long term weight loss or gain is hormonally driven. Insulin's job is to store fat. So if you eat a diet that is high in carbohydrates you are constantly asking for insulin to be produced. If you are eating a low-carb diet, you are not probably paying attention to the amount of calories. For initial weight loss, this is OK, but if you keep eating the same amount of food (typically high in fat), eventually you will reach a weight where the amount you eat supports that weight level. If you are not at your reasonable goal weight, at that point calories do matter. You are typically eating too much cheese or too many nuts because that level of consumption is what you started out with when you began eating low carb. Exercise is very good for maintaining weight loss.