Diabetic Support Teams

Chelsey

Hi,

On many of the posts I have been reading i've seen that alot of people are happy with the support they get off their diabetic nurses, docs etc. I only wish I could have the same support! I have a 20 month old daughter who was diagnosed in Feb and I already feel awful enough without being made to feel worse by the people who are ment to help me!

The service I get off my Diabetic team is awful and I am not the only mum in my area who thinks this. Has anyone else ever felt this way and if so what did you do about it? I am managing her diabetes well on my own (Sugars usually between 6 & 11) as I do not want to ring the nurse and that is not right. I should be able to talk to them about anything and I can't so feel even worse about the whole situation :(

ebony321

Dislikes
Tomatoes, Rude people, Bees!
Hi,

Not everybody is happy with the care of their diabetes team, if you're unhappy talk to your GP to see what your other options are as to changing them!

There's alot of people here who have small children with diabetes so maybe you can gain more support here :)

It must be tough managing your own and your daughters diabetes and with a range of 6-11 isn't too bad considering so you should be proud your able to do that!!

Your right when saying you should be able to phone your nurse and talk to your team to get the best care and support possible!

I know it's easier to say but don't feel bad! i hope you get it all sorted though sorry i couldnt be more help :) x

Jen&Khaleb

Dislikes
Not having enough time. Broken sleep.
I'm a long way from you with a fairly different health system. It would seem that most health systems are pushed to the limit and it is sad that you can't get the assistance you need.

I probably only contact Khaleb's DN maybe once a year outside of general clinic appointments (every 3 months). I actually feel I know more about Khaleb's diabetes than the health professionals but there will always be something I need to ask at some point.

What area do you think you need support in? It sounds like you are doing a fantastic job of keeping blood sugar in check. I can't always keep Khaleb between 6-11mmol. Even tonight I had him at 2.9 :oops: . I have seen parents in my area looking for emotional support but are not offered anything through the hospital system as they are not the patient. We have a local support group here which makes discussing lots of parent issues easy and these forums are also useful.

Your doing such a good job they probably don't feel the need to offer you help :)

annettekp

Just to say well done on keeping the blood sugars at those levels! If only I could do the same with my 2 year old... :?

My team have been great so far.

Annette

Clorinda

No sure where you live, but if you are nearish a different hospital you can swap. My Dad has type 2 and has been receiving his care from a different county's hospital.

I'm pretty sure that under the NHS you have the choice to go to a different hospital if you want to.

But I agree with the others, talk to your GP.