Little annoyed - test strips

grante

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So my doc has been prescribing me some test strips on my repeat perscritions and today when I went to the pharmacy this was wrote on my prescription.

Where is the cheapest place to buy either tee2 or codefree strips please
fa926347311548edf67dcf36dbcde8e2.jpg

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Most T2s not on blood glucose lowering medication have to self fund. You have been lucky so far.

Spirit Healthcare sell the strips for Tee 2 on their web site quite cheaply you have to state you are diabetic at the checkout or you will have to pay VAT.

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product-category/shop/tee2/

@bulkbiker sorry for the cross post.

Reactions: grante

PattiT

Type of diabetes
Type 2
My local chemist charges £15 for 50 Tee 2 strips. Complete rip off. Excellent service from Spirit Healthcare, so I recommend them

Reactions: dbr10

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on Gliclazide and Metformin, and it is the Gliclazide that is the magic key that allows GP to prescribe for me. I have reduced this particular med to its lowest denominator, namely 1x 40mg tab a day, but the door is still open for me. It also helps to be a driver, and also to keep a readings log showing how you use the self monitoring to improve your condition. I used mine to show the occasional hypo event, and where I adjusted my meds to control the highs either by holding a tab back or where I use a spare tab to 'bolus' for a high carb meal.

If you can show that you use the self monitoring as a control mechanism and do actually change things as a result of y,our readings, then a GP should be more willing to support a T2D with strips.

Funnily enough, as a T2D myself, I have found it impossible to get Ketostix on scrip, or ketone test strips on scrip even when my bgl was running >24 mmol/l. Since I suffer many UTI and was running the risk of ketoacidosis from the Metformin, the fact that neither is considered a medical necessity comes as a surprise, so I have to source privately. I cannot rely on my annual checkup to check these out.

Reactions: coxymk2

macabee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Dislikes
People who think Diabetes is 'nothing much to worry about'
I went over to SD Codefree in June as I had a letter from my surgery,stating that my repeats of contour strips would cease forthwith!
Compared to the price of bayer/ascencia productsI was amazed, as I only test about 2-3 times a week no issue with cost.

Reactions: coxymk2 and dbr10

sheepie123

Type of diabetes
Type 2

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A drug that can cause hypos because they don't need it, @sheepie123
The NICE guidelines are quite specific. Unless you are Insulin Dependant (ID) or on a sulphanurea drug then it is a NO NO for Self monitoring and the door closes on strips on scrip, End Of. Even some T2D who are ID as well are being denied Test strips. There is a further additional box to tick even if you qualify by meds, you still have to demonstrate either that you are NOT hypo aware, or must demonstrate that at least one hypo event has occurred while on the med. It is a very rare occurrence for a HCP to go against the NICE Guidelines.

It may be appropriate for the OP to be considered for secondary treatment as per NICE, in which case it may be appropriate to consider a hypoglycemic like Gliclazide, and 1 * 40mg tab a day is minimum dose. But this needs to be discussed with their HCP.

Until recently I was on 2 gram Metformin, and 320 mg Gliclazide, so I know what hypos feel like, I am hypo aware so it is not a major event, and on orals only it is easier to cope with than being on insulin. It is I believe quite possible to hypo out on Metformin only, but this is not accepted by the medical profession, so would not receive a supportive ear.

I have reduced my meds down to 1x 40mg Glic, so I still qualify for strips on scrip. When a bgl target of 5.4 mmol/l is in place it is difficult to not drop into hypoland.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gannet and grante

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I thought I would give my diabetic nurse a call today, seeing as she has prescribed me Glimepiride to take (only used one the day before the wedding as my levels were higher). The medication information states
'DURING GLIMEPIRIDE TREATMENT REGULAR MONITORING OF YOUR BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL IS NECESSARY. YOUR DOCTOR MAY ALSO TAKE BLOOD TESTS TO MONITOR YOUR BLOOD CELL LEVELS AND LIVER FUNCTION'
I thought I would try for testing strips. NO! The information with the meds means that I must be tested 3 monthly. What a load of ****** The 'Dr may also take blood tests' is the 3 monthly check. According to NHS Grampian, whom our health board answers to it seems (we are actually NHS ORKNEY!) IT'S BAD FOR US TO CHECK OUR BS LEVELS DAILY. IT ISN'T NEEDED AND CAN CAUSE US STRESS. No, all it means is that it's bad for my bank balance to test regularly, not my BS levels.
At the moment I'm using the Accu-Chek Mobile as I've run out of TEE 2 strips (8 pks ordered). I normally use the TEE 2 most of the time. But at work I use theAccu-Chek Mobile as I can stick it into my pocket for ease of use. I get the Mobile cassette from ebay, for about £10 or more less than from Boots, still around £17 per cassette.
My Codefree meter was giving such odd readings (anything from 1.0 to in the 20's!) I've almost given up on it. In fact it's in my locker at work, very safe as I've mislaid the key!
The nurse asked if I was eating regular meals, I said of course..... regularly at about 5or 6pm! She approves of the LCHF diet, but I've not mentioned intermittent fasting!

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
I am using an accu chek mobile at the moment basically because they gave me one for free with a nice leather case that I can attach to my belt. One thing I like is not having used test trips all over the place as they seem get every where. I do also have a Tee2 which I think is a great little meter and cheap to run.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
When people who know nothing about the LCHF diet tell me I'm killing myself being on it. I was killing myself not being on it!
I am using an accu chek mobile at the moment basically because they gave me one for free with a nice leather case that I can attach to my belt. One thing I like is not having used test trips all over the place as they seem get every where. I do also have a Tee2 which I think is a great little meter and cheap to run.

I sent of the registration forms but never got my nice leather case from Accu-chek. Do like the machine, so easy to use. Tee2 is my next choice.
Where do you get your cassettes from @JohnEGreen ? Only have a Boots here and they are far too expensive from them.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I sent of the registration forms but never got my nice leather case from Accu-chek. Do like the machine, so easy to use. Tee2 is my next choice.
Where do you get your cassettes from @JohnEGreen ? Only have a Boots here and they are far too expensive from them.

Boots have 25% off Accu Chek gadgets at the moment.
I buy mine from eBay.

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Reactions: Bluetit1802

berylc

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Boots still cost more than ebay sadly

I tend to use the buy it now option on eBay and buy multiple cassettes if available. I got 4 recently for £60 with free postage, so £15 each. Still expensive but cheaper than normal retail price.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
and also takes a larger sample of blood as I recal from when I had that clunky meter.

It requires less blood than the Codefree. I haven't tried any other meters. I don't regard it as clunky at all as you only need carry one item instead of 3.

Reactions: britishpub

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Either Amazon or Ebay usually Ebay as can get them cheaper there.