Stupid question Optium test strips

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Does anyone know whether they NEED to be in the foil until used? I've cut my fingers up scrabbling for one in the night. I'm a wimp and used to 50 in a container.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yes it is best to keep these in the foil as unlike some other strips the application area doesn't have a coating so they can easily become contaminated x

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
They've got a little dent in the foil where you are supposed to rip it. Mos of the time that gets into them fairly quickly, but there's definitely the odd occasion when accessing a strip can be a bit more challenging.

As @kaylz91 said, they are best off left in the foil to avoid wrecking the strips by getting something on them. I don't even think they would last particularly well if left out in the air. That's why they come in the fiddly foil wrappers.

You could always rip a wrapper open before you settle down to sleep and leave the foil bit covering the test area (so you've just got the piano keys bit exposed) so it's nice and easy to access if you need to test in the night.

leslie10152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Ignorance
You must keep the test strips free of any outside contamination prior to testing. It is essential to ensure accurate results at time of testing. Moisture will degrade the test strip so avoid this at all costs.

gavin86

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Is there actually a design difference? I haven't read any specific info, but have read some general studies and was under the impression foil just provides a better storage environment - as everytime you pop the lid on a barrel of strips, more air/moisture etc gets in.

I use optium and prefer the foil - makes for a much less bulky kit.
My biggest issue at night is the dark, although the Libre reader being back-lit helps a lot more than juggling a phone and my old optium neo

Reactions: rorshach

rorshach

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for all the advice. I've managed to prep one now for bed. I'm a slow learner. Thank you

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Accu chek aviva strips have a plastic type coating over most of the test area as far as I can remember the optium strips don't have this but I haven't used them in months x