typical day and week?

tanyalbeck

Can you all let me know what you have on the average day food wise? for example, breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks? Thanks!!
Tanya (newbie)

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Tanya, welcome to the forum :)

Here is my food programme which I have cut and pasted from elsewhere, written by me though:
(I count carbs)

1 multivitamin tab, Lutein, bilberry, and Flaxseed oil for retinas
Breakfast : full fat Total Greek yoghurt with sweetner. coffee with very little cream
Lunch: meat or fish, veg (not always don't eat my 5 a day - naughty!), carby food from list below, 2%fat Total Greek yoghurt:. Coffee
Supper: meat (nearly always cold) , usually brown bread roll, another 2% Total Greek yoghurt.
Very occasional treat of raspberries or strawberries with cream and I cheat and don't count the carbs! Apparently anything ending in 'berry' is OK for BG.
No snacks!
No alcohol. Except for a small glass of red wine once a day which is very good for you.
Drink light lemonade and label says it contains no carbs.
I trim fat off meat as I don't like it.

Here are the portion sizes and calculations of numbers of carbs. Carb numbers are taken from what is marked on the packet.

Full fat Joghurt 5.4g carb
2% fat joghurt 6.5g carb
Brown bread roll (62g) 30 g carb
Rice (30g) 23g carb
Rosti potatoes(65g) 11 gm carb
Gratin potatoes one small round 15g carb
Oven chips (60g) 16g carb
Pasta(60g) 36g carb
Polenta(20g) 23g carb
Ravioli(90g includes filling) 29g carb
Roast potatoes(50g) 12g carbs
Cordon bleu(slice veal with breadcrumbs)13.5g carbs
Flageolet beans (65g) 5g carbs.

No guarantees as to accuracy of carb values. I estimate this to make my day's carbs as between 50g and 90g carbs.

Hope this is useful. :) By the way I am Type 2.

Would be interested to hear anyone's comments, especially if I am going wrong anywhere :shock:

Edit: have only just noticed this is in the low-carb forum. This is probably too high carb for you.

justfoundout

Dislikes
Bullies
Welcome Tanya

I'm firstly donning the flak jacket and pith helmut as I tell you my low carb typical day. It works for me as when I was first admitted to this club I tested lots of foods and found a low carb way made life so much better. So typically:
breakfast is generally eggs cheese and meat. Take for example boiled eggs to work and meat is ham. At weekends have omellete or fried w bacon
Lunch is spinach leaves with olives and tinned sardines or kippers or mackeral.
Dinner will be steak w fat on or pork belly or lamb shoulder or slow cooked something with buttered cabbage.
Coffee w cream, lots of water, wine to drink.
Snacks of scratchings or nuts.

Test what works for you. I do find that I'm rarely hungry as my body isn't craving anything.
Good luck

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Justfoundout.
That menu is almost identical to my own .......I probably eat a few more carbs than you though,
60 - 80g per day, depending on how I feel. I use a low GI/GL diet so really nothing is banned from my food list. Just all in moderation. :D

Ken

tanyalbeck

thanks!! my diabetes dr gave me the details of an online carb cou nting course run by the university of bournemouth (or was it basingstoke?!!) but I lost the name of it and I can't find it via google. aaargh!!

I like the idea of lo carb... i may try and buy a low GL book as a guide. my only real worry is that i'd have to cut down on fuit... I snack on a LOT throughout the day!

it's all good food for thought....
Tanya

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
This is what I ate today:

breakfast: pot of coffee with double cream (about 3 large cups and 60ml cream)
lunch: pork pate, kipper pate, lettuce, 3 cherry tomatoes, 100g raspberries and cream
dinner: courgette soup made with chicken stock, 2 boiled eggs, a slice of homemade cake-bread (5g cho) with about 20g butter and 30g cheese. Coffee with cream.
I'll probably eat more cheese before bedtime.

Murphybear

Yesterday I ate

1 home made pancake (I used spelt flour as had some in cupboard) but use whatever is around stuffed with cherry tomatoes, feta and pine nuts. Pancake ~ 10 carbs

Carvery lunch (out for day) - lots of meat, some veg and one small Yorkie, no potatoes

Ham, h/m Waldorf salad and lots of other salad

Large portion of raspberries from freezer, cream

In addition had quite a lot of tea with semi-skimmed milk

If hungry, have cheese, but have to be careful as bit of a cheesaholic.

Seems to work, BG down and lost 25 lbs!

Murphybear :lol: :lol: :lol:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
BReakfast
I lite[low sugar] pot Yakult, slice of cheese or slice of cold meat with slice "Fergus" bread. cup of tea.
Usually eaten on the run whilst feeding dogs and cats on way to gym
Lunch
piece of cold meat or cheese, salad; slice of "fergus loaf
Evening
Cooked meat or fish, or omelette.
Dessert
berries with naural Greek yogurt
with green veggies or salad as most appropriate.
Snacks
nuts
Week end lunches
Roast meat and 2 veg. I might have a single potato or small yorkshire.
dessert,
Home made yogurt "ice-cream", or cheesecake or "pavlova, made with berries and low sugar meringue. Creme fraiche and Marscapone flavoured with vanilla and perhaps a little sweetener.
I sometimes have a small apple or share a larger one.
the ones in my garden[Ellison's Orange] are delicious.
Hana

theblokefromstoke

Dislikes
Pizza (makes my BG go through the roof), Pasta & potatoes.
Hiya,

I am eating 'liitle and often' with small portions every couple of hours. Its working for me with about 5 stone of weight loss in 9 months:-

7 am - small glass of grapefruit juice
9 am - 1 wheatibix with soya milk
11am - 1 Wheatabix with soya milk

1pm - 2 slices burgen soya bread with 80grams of tuna and sliced pepper
3pm - few slices of cheese, little bit of coleslaw, sliced carrot, pepper and a tomato
5pm - Hartleys sugar free jelly or apple depending on how I feel and if i need a carb boost

7pm - piece of chicken or fish, couple of scrambled eggs / salad
9pm - Hartleys sugar free jelly or a low carb yoghurt or some raspberries . strawberries & blueberrys - tesco sell some 'irish diet yoghurts' only 5.4 carbs.

I am sticking to around 2000 calories per day and around 60 to 80g carbs. Most days are a variant of the above and I have my diabets / blood pressure and cholestorol levels all well under control.

I am buying loads of free range eggs from a local farm. They are really tasty. The sugar free jelly is fab too.

Carl

Etty

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Murphy bear--I've put the recipe under "low-carb recipes". Hope you like eggs.