Advocardos

Pagetbabs

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I keep hearing about advocardos in relation to T2. Could someone please enlighten me, am I missing something here?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
@Pagetbabs . I'll tag @Kristin251 , who is probably the forums avocado expert.
Haha. I'm famous for something !!

Avocados are great for blood sugar. The fat and fiber help keep spikes and drops low and slow. They are also quite low in carbs and the carbs they do have accompanied with the fat and fiber make them very slow carbs. They are also very filling.
So filling and keeping bs steady means less need for snacking or over eating.

Lastly but certainly not least, they are the healthiest natural fat you can eat.

I eat some with every meal and sometimes snacks if needed. One a day every day and the bigger the better

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I find them filling and as they are have very little carbs they don't put up my BG. My wife also does not like them, hence they don't go missing.....

Reactions: Prem51

derry60

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Rudeness,people being unkind
I find them filling and as they are have very little carbs they don't put up my BG. My wife also does not like them, hence they don't go missing.....
Must admit I don't like them either, they have no flavor to them. I know that they are good for you, but they are very calorific. Not sure that I would eat them every day even if I did like them, but won't do you any harm

Chook

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People who think they know everything.
As others have said, they won't do your BG any harm.

I think they are an acquired taste - I don't think they taste like anything else - in this house I love them and my husband really dislikes them. If you do decide to try them they are at their best when you cradle them in your hand and squeeze gently and they 'give' slightly. You run a sharp knife from the narrow end to the wide end and round again and then ease them apart. There is a large stone in the middle which isn't edible - you can then spoon out the pale green flesh with a spoon or scoop it out and add it to salads or mash it on a Lidl high protein roll.

Yes, probably more info than you needed..... :)

Dr Snoddy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Trolls
Try adding some dried chilli and lime juice to avocado - improves the flavour no end.
Or chopped boiled egg, dash of crushed garlic and lemon juice.

D

Deleted member 308541

I am a recent convert to eating Avocados, it's best thing I ever did. As others have said they are low carb and full of fatty goodness.

I just like them with a sprinkle of salt on then after getting rid of the pip, then scoop the flesh out of the skin with a spoon.

Reactions: Prem51 and Snapsy

Salvia

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Pagetbabs, and welcome to the forums. I am also a recent convert to avocados, and soon started to love them (thanks to Kristin, our expert!! :D). I find that they have a very subtle flavour, almost unnoticeable; for me it's more the smooth, creamy texture that I like, and they're so easy and versatile to eat. I've had them with both hot and cold meals and they've been fine. One word of warning (apologies if you know this already), once they have been opened, any unused portion can go brown quite quickly, even if wrapped in clingfilm & kept in the fridge.

Agree with what the others above have said about how avos can help with blood sugars. :)

D

Deleted member 308541

Ah, you saw the report that said the highest number of accidents for middle class people is avocado based injury, too?
Hah! Bogans eat Avo's in Australia as well, and they are not "middle class". :D

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Chav

Picture this a young lad about 12 years of age and 4 ½ feet high baseball cap at ninety degrees in a imitation addidas tracksuit, with trouser legs tucked into his socks (of course, is definitely the height of fashion). This lad is strutting around, fag in one hand jewellery all over the other, outside McDonalds acting as if he is 8 foot tall and built like a rugby player, when some poor unsuspecting adult (about 17/18) walks round the corner wanting to go to mcdonalds for his dinner glances at the young lad, the young lad jumps up in complete disgust and says “Whats your problem? Wanna make sommin of it? Bling Bling” when the adult starts to walk towards the young lad, the young lad pisses himself and runs off to either his pregnant 14-year-old girlfriend or his brother in the army crying his eyes out.

My mate has become a chav what can i do? answer is shoot him before it is too late

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=chav&r=f

S

serenity648

sorry, but just cant bear the texture of avocados. They are not compulsory ; )