Type 1 Help?

Alex_B

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going for an eye test tomorrow as my eyes keep going blurry and I don't know if I just get a free eye test or do I get a discount on glasses as I am diabetic and need them? I saw somewhere that you didn't have to pay for the glasses but can't find it now.

ickihun

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies
I get free test due to low income and a set amount to spend on basic lenses but I have to buy the frames.
If I was working for my normal average wage I'd get free test only due to diabetes.

Not sure if being insulin dependant changes that?

SockFiddler

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

petdell

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Type 1 diabetics don't pay for eye tests. Your entitled to 1 free eye test a year. But you do pay for glasses unless your on certain benefits. If your eye test is at a hospital clinic then you stand more chance of an N.H.S voucher for a small amount of discount. Hope all goes well.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
Tesco offer free eye tests to EVERY ONE every 2 years. Regardless of benefits etc.

@Alex_B once you disclose you have diabetes to any optician you will get an eye test on steroids (forgive the pun) completely FOC.... paid for by the NHS.

You will have to pay however for any glasses you buy, unless you are eligible for any other discounts through other routes.

My advice is get the prescription then buy from any cheap place, Aldi, Amazon, etc etc they all do specs based on what you're told at better prices than Boots, Specsavers, et al.

Reactions: azure

DobbieTheElf

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm going for an eye test tomorrow as my eyes keep going blurry and I don't know if I just get a free eye test or do I get a discount on glasses as I am diabetic and need them? I saw somewhere that you didn't have to pay for the glasses but can't find it now.
You should get a free eye test for being diabetic, I certainly do. However, I don't think there is any discount on glasses because of diabetes unless you have glaucoma.

Heretic1

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Diabetes!
You should get a free eye test for being diabetic, I certainly do. However, I don't think there is any discount on glasses because of diabetes unless you have glaucoma.

My mum and Bruv have Glaucoma, thankfully at least that had passed me by (so far). So whilst they (we) get enhanced eye tests you don't get any help with glasses etc ... unless entitled through benefits system etc.