eye tests

Tannith

BANNED
i booked one yesterday for tomorrow. Optician (Boots) said "that's right you're due for another your last one was Aug 2016". Maybe they are going to charge me. Normal eye test.

Does anyone know if opticians do retinal scans?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does anyone know if opticians do retinal scans?

Some do, but the machinery isn't always as good as the National Screening Service, and with the screening service 2 qualified people look at the scans on a very large screen. Also, some opticians don't use the eye drops, and therefore may not get as clear a picture.

B

badcat

I have slow growing cataracts in both eyes ( yes cataracts are another thing on the long list of things that diabetics are more prone to). As far as I know they will be checked yearly - I would imagine glaucoma amaular degeneration etc woul also require annual eye exams. If the eye test was purely for checking short / long distance vision and glasses prescription then 2 years with the facility to return if there is any sudden change in vision would seem fine. When I have my retinal screening appointment, they always do a basic sight test before they put the drops in

Tannith

BANNED
Eye test this afternoon NO CHARGE. At Boots. I am a pensioner and had had one a year earlier. No retinopathy. Thank you God! But the bad news is that I have cataracts in both eyes and a stigmatism in one. All appeared since last year's test inAug 2016. And now I see badcat's post above saying cataracts are something diabetics are more prone to!

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Eye test this afternoon NO CHARGE. At Boots. I am a pensioner and had had one a year earlier. No retinopathy. Thank you God! But the bad news is that I have cataracts in both eyes and a stigmatism in one. All appeared since last year's test inAug 2016. And now I see badcat's post above saying cataracts are something diabetics are more prone to!

Last time I had my eye sight tested I was told I had the beginnings of cataracts. The optician told me he is always surprised if people over 60 haven't got them. He said it is normal and of no concern ..... yet!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Try not to worry @Tannith as the cataract surgery is quite painless and takes all of 15 mins and your back home the same day. The recovery time for the operation is about 4 week, it only takes this long as you have to administer anti-inflammatory and antibiotic eye drops to help with the healing process.

B

badcat

My optician told me that diabetes can cause cataracts to develop much earlier than normal ( ie before your mid 60's) and that good diabetic control slows down their rate of growth considerably. Ive had mine for about 9 years with the optician taking a 'watchfull waiting" approach to them

Last edited by a moderator:

Tannith

BANNED
Try not to worry @Tannith as the cataract surgery is quite painless and takes all of 15 mins and your back home the same day. The recovery time for the operation is about 4 week, it only takes this long as you have to administer anti-inflammatory and antibiotic eye drops to help with the healing process.
Thank you badcat. That's reassuring. Has anyone else heard that the NHS is cutting back on cataract surgery?

spicer81

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It seems eye tests are at the discretion of the optician, seems a bit hit and miss. My wife has just had her eyes tested and
was told she will have her next test in 18 months, how does that follow supposed NHS guidelines?

Key_master_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Up until March 2016 I was having my eyes tested annually, now Specsavers tell me that the NHS have changed their policy
and say eye tests are held every two years, even for diabetics. Can anyone verify this? Specsavers seem to have a reputation for giving out false information, I'm wondering if this is one of those occasions.

Get yourself off to boots, fantastic every time I go. No issues with coming back annually for a sight test. Again they always try to push their specs on you if you need them. I say I'm in rush. I have mine before swimming on a Saturday so I am genuinely in a rush. Haha!!

Last edited: