Understanding GI

nevetsandy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I am a relatively new Type 1 and am looking into what the GI really means.

I understand low GI foods raise the blood sugars slower than high GI foods, but what is the relative time difference? No site I have found even touches on this question.

Preferring wholegrain foods, I eat mostly low GI.
At present I inject 4-6 units of bolus insulin before each meal, and late evening a basal insulin.
On most days in the mornings my levels are acceptable. By lunchtime they have gone up. and at tea/dinner time they are around the same as lunchtime. In the late evening it varies widely, but normally the highest.
Is this because the bolus insulin has run its course before my body has processed the carbs from the low GI food?

I know all our bodies are different and so impossible to be precise - and also cooking methods can have an effect - but is there anywhere where I can get information on this?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions or help you can give.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Is this because the bolus insulin has run its course before my body has processed the carbs from the low GI food?

No I don't think so, to find the answer why don't you do some basal testing, if your bg levels go up in the absence of food (and of course your bolus doses) then you'll know it's a basal issue.

catapillar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin

When do you inject? When do you eat? What are you eating?

If your bolus dose had worked before the carbs get into to your system then you would be having lows before you have highs. Are you? You only mention highs in the evening.

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do you carb count and adjust your bolus doses to match the carbs eaten? x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It sounds like your Basal may need balancing and from what you say may need to be slightly increased. Seek advice from the DN if you can and if you make any changes yourself only make small changes at a time and wait 2-3 days between any Basal changes. Monitor with the meter as usual. Many users find the Bolus ratio needs to change for different times of the day and Basals don't last 24 hours so the Bolus ratio may need to vary to counter waning Basal?

Kristin251

Expert
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
I find the timing of my bolus makes all the difference. I bolus 20 min before I eat as that's how long it takes humalog to start working. If I take my humalog and eat right away I'll go up fast. If I'm a tad high I'll wait 30-35 min. If anlittle low only 10 min.

It should be noted I'm ultra low carb so I bolus for protein rather than carbs. Carbs come in faster than protein.
Also we are more insulin resistant in the morning so timing boluses really help

For me, GI has no bearing. A carb is a carb and all will turn to bs at some point or another. I don't find the GI to even make a difference in how fast