DVLA and driving licence

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
I have been on insulin for type 2 diabetes since i came out of hospital 18 months ago. I wrote to DVLA advising them and they have come back with the authorisation of a 3 year licence only. Is this normal and do all insulin dependent diabetics have a limited licence and should I accept this without question.

Pollyr

Sid Bonkers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Customer helplines that use recorded menus that promise to put me through to the right person but never do - and being ill. Oh, and did I mention customer helplines :)
A three year licence is quite normal for all insulin users and as far as I am aware there is nothing that you can do to alter this. The three year licence is paid for by the DVLA so there is no charge for it and providing you do not suffer any bad hypo's and your eye sight does not deteriorate then there is no reason why you should not be driving for the rest of your life.

Always ensure that your blood glucose is at least 5mmol/L and not dropping before you drive. The DVLA recommends that you test each time you get behind the wheel of a car regardless of how long the journey is and if on a long journey you should stop and test every *two hours.

You will need to see your GP and ensure he/she prescribes you enough test strips, quote the DVLA guidelines if you are refused adequate strips, when I was on insulin my doctor was fine with 200 to 250 strips per month once he was aware of the DVLA recommendation.

*The two hours is off the top of my head perhaps someone can confirm this.

pollyr

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
political correctness in any form
Hi all, and thankyou for the advice Sid, I wont be driving for any length of time and as me and hubby are now retired ,if we use the car he normally drives but I was worried that my indepencence would be threatened if I wasnt allowed to drive. I am also concerned for others too and would only drive if I was confident that I was ok to do so.

pollyr