Eyes

sofaraway

the eyes are very sensitive to changes in blood sugar so during the time you are bringing your blood sugars down you may expereince a worsening of sight, but as your GP said this is generally temporary and improves once you adjust to the lower blood sugars. it's also one of the reasons that blood sugars are better brought down gradually.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
tubolard said:
I have an appointment with my optician this Friday but I have to say I find this most disconcerting and perhaps the most worrying of my symptoms. My levels are coming down quite nicely, this morning I was 13.1, down from 25.3 the Sunday after diagnosis.
Hi Tubs,
When you see the optician make sure you explain to him/her that you are recently diagnosed diabetic and that your blood sugar levels were very high and are dropping quickly. What you don't want is to have to pay for new specs that will be absolutely no use to you in a couple of weeks when your eyes settle down. This link will probably teach you all that you never wanted to know about diabetes and eyesight!
http://www.reddiabetes.com/Eye_Diseases.html

rottweilsteve

Dislikes
incorrect punctuation (see above), Otherwise dishonesty, discrimination, prejudicial behaviour. and general nastiness.
A couple of months after being diagnosed I had an optician refuse (very politely) to test my eyes until my blood sugars had stabilised.

If there's any choice in where you go, the place to avoid is begins and ends with "S", has three syllables and is convinced that they can save you money on your specs... I can see better without my distance glasses than I can with them. In fact I'd probably fail the "read that numberplate" part of the driving test with the glasses on!

As a matter of interest what documentation to opticians need to re diabetes? Is it enough to show them a pack of, say, gliclazide, with your name on it, or is there a form that needs to be got from somewhere awkward to get to?

Steve

AmberAnn

I have glasses for reading and close work...have had for the past 20 odd years...However when I notice my vision blurs at times I put it down to tiredness and age..Also a recent retinel scan shows alls okay there and am due for my bi annual eye test any time...but I'm going to wait until I have had my 3 months after diagnosed blood fast test due in Aug before I consider any new specs...and yes when one tells folk you are diabetic..how is it proved ? I've no documentation...