I'm a T1 but my partner keeps getting thrush?

joelcam

Hi,

I've been a T1 male for just over a year and my control is good (5.7 and 5.8 for my first 2 Hba1C tests).

Lately my partner who is female keeps getting thrush. Literally like every other week.

I have read that mouth thrish can be common in people with bad control but could there be any way that I could be giving my partner thrush even though my control is good.

She has 'lady' thrush for clarity.

Any ideas?

JC

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Have you got Thrush ourself? . Perhaps your partner should be tested for diabetes, as the thrush fungus likes a high sugar environment. Frequent thrush can be a symptom of diabetes.
Hana

joelcam

Hi,

No I don't have it.

She has been tested and they have confirmed she is definitely not a diabetic..

The annoying thing is that they have given me cream to rub in my man bits just in case it's me passing it back to her but I clearly do not have it!

I just wondered if maybe something happens to the sperm of a T1 that could affect their partner.

Sorry for the level of detail etc!!

JC

jopar

Even though you have good control etc..

But in an active couple if one gets thrush both really need to treated for it, otherwise what happens female treated and sorted but the male still carries the thrush, well really don't need to say any more..

Next attack ensure that the doc gives enough cream to cover you as well should be sorted then

SophiaW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Anyone can get thrush, not just diabetics, so it may have nothing to do with your diabetes. I agree with jopar in that you must both be treated, even if one of you is not showing symptoms, otherwise your partner may continue having repeat episodes of it.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
To put it bluntly, thrush is sexually transmitted. To treat any sexually transmitted infection, it is essenital to treat all partner involved in a sexual relationship. Also, semen contains more than sperm eg water, enzymes, fructose (and doesn't always contain sperm, eg from several months after a vasectomy).
Don't worry - it's all OK :D

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
Hi Joelcam
When my BG control was a bit crazy a few years ago, and following a few courses of anti-biotics for dental probs, I had recurrent attacks of "lady" thrush. Same as you, my husband got it, passed it back to me even though he had no symptoms. After trying in vain with the creams and pessaries, we tried Difflucan oral medication which cleared it up. Ask your GP about you and your partner having Diflucan capsules, hopefully it might sort it once and for all.
Jus

leadingjo

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
diabetes
copepod said:
To put it bluntly, thrush is sexually transmitted. To treat any sexually transmitted infection, it is essenital to treat all partner involved in a sexual relationship. Also, semen contains more than sperm eg water, enzymes, fructose (and doesn't always contain sperm, eg from several months after a vasectomy).
Don't worry - it's all OK :D

Thrush is NOT a sexally transmitted infection

moonstone

Agree with the above, I got it for the first time when I was 14 and completely untouched!! It can be transmitted by sex, this is indisputable, but it is NOT a sexually transmitted disease. I had it regularly throughout my life, quite badly sometimes. I got it so so so badly before diagnosis at the age of 36 that I did not even recognise it as thrush - I won't go into details. I also had a terrible case of it in my mouth, which I again didn't notice until it was really, seriously awful.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
If it can be sexually transmitted, then it is sexually transmitted. OK, I should have added that it can have other causes, but in the situation being discussed here, transmission during sex is the key factor and the reason why both partners have to be tested. Sorry if that caused offence - none was intended/

joelcam

Copepod - it's too late to apologise now I have already divorced the cheating cow!

Ha ha - no seriously, I understood what you are saying...once it arrives it can be passed back and for by having sex - no offence taken on my part, totally understood what you were saying.

copepod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your understanding Joelcam - sometimes the part of my childhood spent in family planning clinics (because my Mum worked there, so she took my sister & I with her before we went to school and in school holidays) causes me to be a bit more blunt than other people :D

Glad to hear you haven't divorced in haste :D