Am I Disabled?

hazyclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere, I've just had a quick scan through and not seen anything... But I'm a Type 1 Diabetic luckily without any serious complications so far (touch wood), so am I classed as disabled? I am just applying for a job and not sure whether to tick yes or no on the form.

In the past I have always ticked no, but I have a Type 1 Diabetic friend who ticks yes, however she has some nerve damage in her feet and claims DLA when I don't as I'm not entitled. I am also wondering whether to tick yes as it may help me get an interview due to positive discrimination and equal opportunities, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable about doing this.

Opinions and advise much appreciated.

janabelle

Dislikes
Lack of choice of insulin for newly diagnosed patients.
Dog owners who let their dogs poop in the street-a hazard for most, but worse if you're visually impaired!
Having RP
HI Hazyclaire,
If your diabetes is well controlled and you have no complications I don't think you can be considered disabled. Your friend has complications which affect her ability to work so that's completely different.
In my last job my heavy periods caused me lots of time off work, my diabetes never did!

I have a degenerative sight condition (not diabetes related)and allowances were made for me in my last job. It wasn't a huge deal as I only had a problem in dimly light then and was diagnosed after I started working there. However I am now registered blind/severely sight impaired due to loss of peripheral vision, and as such considered disabled; I have a blue badge, freedom pass, but claim no benefits. I feel that no one would employ me now as I would be a hazard,ie; falling over things, etc and I think that's how a prospective employer would see it, pardon the pun :D .

You have diabetes and are on insulin,if the job application asks about medical conditions you need to state that. If you get the job the employer should be understanding of your condition, eg the need to test and carry glucose with you.
However I am no expert on this subject and there is an "employment" section on the forum, have a look there for more info.
Best of luck in your job hunt.
Jus :)

KimSuzanne

Hi Hazyclaire

You are classed as disabled if you have type 1 diabetes I have recently discovered when working for the NHS.
I've always ticked no and will continue to do so even though mine is far from uncomplicated but by there is a section in the Disability Discrimination Act 1995 that refers specifically to type 1 diabetes and defines what they class a disability.
Its all very confusing but I think everyone has to decide for themselves, if you want to tick no do that but have a read of those bits and see what you think.

Hope this makes some kind of sense!
Kim

Dollyrocker

No you aren't, diabetes is included in the disabilities discrimination act to protect you but you are not automatically classed as disabled n bing diagnosed.

Should you develop complications from poor control then you may be classed as disabled but if you only have diabetes then you are not.

jopar

Sorry but diabetes is covered by the DDA ...

Read this link http://www.rcn.org.uk/development/commu ... es_you_can!

When I had major problems with a new manager in my previous job, I was advised by the DDA to where I stood with the employer, what I could do etc, and if needs be they would have acted on my behave! I have no diabetic complications...

It is always a hard one, in the past when applying for Jobs if I could I would leave it empty, and explain at the interview that I didn't know whether to fill it in as Yes diabetes is classed as a disability, but it doesn't generally effect my day to day working commitments..

At the end of the day, if you say nothing, start work and find that adjustments need to be made to your work duties, it's harder to enforce your employer to oblige, if you are sacked because of fair adjustments aren't made etc, then you it very much more difficult to bring an unfair dissmisal claim against your employer..

victry77

I agree, it's very confusing. Recently when applying for a college course, the application asked if I considered myself disabled - yes/no. It then listed specific disabilities which included, "Other Medical Conditions (i.e. asthma, epilepsy diabetes, etc)". I mentioned to the admin officer that I did have an "Other Medical Condition" but didn't consider myself diasbled. However, I was told that I must check the disability box. So, I am considered disabled on the college records.

C

catherinecherub

The Disability Discrimination Act is designed to stop discrimination against disabled people in the workplace and this document gives valid reasons why Diabetics are covered by the Act. It is for protection in the workplace.

diabetes-support.org.uk/joomla/diabetes-and-the-disability-discrimination-act

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
There are many areas of legislation which cover various illnesses one of which is Diabetes. It depends on which legislation you are looking at as to whether or not it is classed as a disability. So any answer really should be a maybe !

That's why I would always recommend anybody who has a question like this to get proper 'expert' advice and clarify any questions with the organisation concerned. That is better than listening to people who have their own opinions about what is and isn't a Disability.

Some members have quoted stuff on here which has been incorrect. In some circumstances that could lead to a Member getting into trouble with an Employer by quoting bad information.

My opinion - for what its worth.......

hazyclaire

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone for your views, it seems that it's totally open to debate and personal opinion / feelings. In the end I ticked 'no' on the form as I just couldn't bring myself to class myself as disabled as I have never thought of myself in this way and try very hard not to let my diabetes stop me from doing anything. I have always made my employers and colleagues aware that I am diabetic and what that involves, but I think I will continue to tick 'no' unless I get complications and have to rethink.

The thing that does frustrate me, is that being diabetic doesn't stop me from working a full time job and I am better controlled now than ever before, but life does often get in the way and I could be even better controlled if I was less busy at work. I get by and my sugar levels aren't terrible, but I do worry about my chances of long term damage and complications that could be lowered if I had more time to focus on it.

badmedisin

Yes the DDA covers type 1. This is basically so that employers can't prevent you from things like keeping your lucozade at your desk, testing your blood and going to hospital appointments. It also means they can't refuse to employ you on the grounds that you are diabetic.

Whilst I've never seen my diabetes as a disability (except for when I found out we can't drive trucks and suddenly got an overwhelming urge to be a truck driver...), technically it does affect your day to day activities in some ways and at times might require your employer to 'make reasonable adjustments'. But the whole thing is self determined. It's whether you personally consider yourself to have a disability. Nobody can choose that for you.

Currently I'm ticking yes. I'm desperate for a job and nobody has invited me to interview. So if you tick yes, you can't be randomly selected out and can be put into the guaranteed interview scheme. I feel a but naughty about it, but I'm not technically doing anything wrong and I need a job urgently before I go mental and/ or go to debtor's prison!

So really it's up to you :)

Dollyrocker

I would never class myself as disabled, I can do everything a non diabetic can do and until that changes due to complications (god forbid) I am not going to claim any kind of benefit just because I have to watch what I eat and take a few injections

People who use their condition as an excuse to get disability benefits that they don't need really grind my gears. protecting yourself against discrimination is one thing, using diabetes to get an easy life is another in my book

whelo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I don't consider myself diabled. However, last year I had ketoacidosis, for no apparant reason but my employer referred me to occupational health doc. This report recommended that I should be able to test myself and inject in private! This has not happened! Am I disabled cos I (suppossedy) have special measures in place!!!!!!!!

hails

I work for the Police and have been told I am classed as disabled. As at times my condition is diasabling I guess?
I do not class myself as diasbled so I wouldnt have a problem ticking the no box but I know there are times when I have appointments etc which will always be the case and ticking that box may cover you if you have a difficult manager etc.

robertconroy

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
In the US, diabetes is considered a disability. Also, in the US if you are a military vetran and you have diabetes, then you are considered a disabled vet. I double checked with the VA (vetrans administration) on this.

gbswales

It worries me that people see considering themselves as disabled as something bad - have we not got over the "wanting to be normal" syndrome (I dont mean just diabetics but all of us)? In my humble opinion more than 80% of people are not "normal" in way or another - oh err wait a minute does that mean only 20% are normal - well in that case as they are a minority they cant be the norm can they? :lol:
Firstly there is no such thing as normal
Secondly there is nothing wrong with being disabled
Being disabled does not entitle you automatically to special treatment
Being disabled does not entitle you automatically to benefits
It merely means that employers and the like are obliged to recognise, and be considerate to, whatever condition you may have.

I suffer with haemophilia which for years and years I did my utmost to hide - until I began to realise that it was a disability and there was nothing wrong with admitting it - now I will tell anyone who wants to know about it - now I have diabetes and athritis as well. Whether I like it or not these conditions have some effect, no matter how limited on what work I can do - therefore they are by definitin disabilities and I am proud to admit that. Disability and weakness are not the same thing!

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
totally agree gbswales - and very eloquently put :) - I take the same attitude as you regarding my son who is on the autistic spectrum - to look at him he looks like any other 15 yr old - but my word his condition can be very disabling for him - and us as a family - but being open about it is the way to go - that gets him the understanding and resources he needs - he is also far more able than "normal" teenagers in other areas - this still doesn't negate the fact he struggles in others.

And to agree with what others have said - getting DLA isn't at all easy and very few manage to con the system - though like everything there is a few who manage it

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I believe T1 is classed as a disability in parts of Europe.
Hana

sugar2

For me, I would say that it depends on the situation, and your particular circumstances. If my diabetes does not get in teh way of me doing something, then I would answer no, at that point (parking spaces at tescos, working in an office, being a Mum etc) but in others..eg being a police office, or an ambulance driver, where I could take 2 minutes out of my day, to test my blood and treat any hypos, then yes, it is a disability.

DLA. Not ever thought of claiming it...but all that means is that I am lucky enoough not to need to , not that someone else shouldn't.

Interesting point about the "normal" thing. I can see where you are coming from....but for me, I try not to make any more fuss than I have to about my diabetes (and when I have to,, I do) as, I have always hated when I have been discriminated against because of it. At school, they told me I could do sports day, becasue I was diabetic....completely stupid, and they did ;et me in the end...but it was this struggle against discrimination, that makes me want to be as normal as possible.