can anyone help with this question please?

castaway

I had my usual lunch today and took 7 units of humalog, again as per usual. Two hours later and I started feeling tired and thirsty so took my levels and found they were at 19 ! What would cause this?
I had my usual breakfast and again my usual 2 units but not long after I had a hypo with a BG of 2.9. After some glucose and carb my levels were normal and were definitely ok before I ate my lunch.
Just feeling very confused and wondered if there could be a reason for my high reading. I'm not ill, stressed or anything different today.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received as I have no-ne else to discuss this with and I always find this forum very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
To help get you an answer some more information might be helpful to Members.

1. What amount of Glucose and Carbs did you consume after your earlier Hypo. What time was that.
2. What was your actual Bg level just before your Lunch. What time was that ?
3. What is your 'usual' lunch. What did it consist of ?

sugar2

Hmmm, my only thought would be that the carb you took for the hypo was still making your BG rise? When you measured your BG before lunch, you had not reached teh peak for that carb intake??

castaway

Many thanks for your replies :D

After I had my hypo this morning (9am) I took 2 glucose tablets then had a piece of wholemeal toast.

My BG level before lunch at 1pm was 10

Lunch consisted of a banana, 2 slices of wholemeal bread, plain crisps and a yogurt.

I have the same lunch every day and always take the same amount of insulin....this is why I was a bit confused by my high reading :shock:

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
You were high at 10 pre lunch......you had a meal which is high in carbs......not really surprising the levels went way up.

Maybe your Insulin dose needs adjusting ? You could just reduce the carbs instead.

Have we any T1's who can help out here ?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Castaway,

Did you include a correction dose at lunch for the 10 mmol reading? As sugar2 says, a possible explanation may be that your bg was still rising after you treated the hypo, or your insulin didn't absorb properly or perhaps you miscounted the carbs and got your insulin ratio totally wrong, other than that if it was just a one-off and you are back to normal tomorrow and thereafter I wouldn't worry it.

Nigel

castaway

Thanks for all the advice....my levels continued to go all over the place and then this evening I started to feel very tired and achey.
When my husband came home from work he mentioned that it could all be due to the flu jab that I had yesterday!!!!!! I totally forgot that I'd had it and that maybe it could be the cause of my erratic BG.
Hopefully will feel better tomorrow and thanks again for taking the time to reply.

Dollyrocker

That certainly sounds like the reason you're normal lunch had such a drastic effect! It's amazing how these little things can throw us off completely.

Hope you feel better soon

cancerian87

you'll find that if you test especially about 2 hours after a meal your blood sugars will be raised because the food has broken down and in your blood. where the insulin can start using it. even for people without diabetes if you tested their blood sugar 2 hours after a meal it will be raised.

also your liver is in charge of sorting people out with a rise in sugar when your body detects a drop. now just becase we're diabetic doesn't mean our liver doesn't work, it just works more inefficiently. probably at the time you tested and was about 2ish your body was picking up on that as well. so when you had your 2 glucose tablets, your liver was also dolling out it's own sugar for you. rising your blood sugar even more. usually the 2 glucose tablets you took will end up going back into the liver to restore that level (sorry i'm talking in basic non scientific terms)

when you tested at lunch and was 10, that was partly the liver and the glucose tablets. but your liver is also inefficent at knowing when to stop dolling it out, that's why it would have carried on for a bit. probably 2 hours after that, on top of your liver, all the carbs you ate at lunch broken down. that's why you're blood sugar was raised. you might have found that if you did nothing (as long as you did the correct amount for your lunch) it would have just gone back to normal. that's a mistake commonly done. is correctly after a hypo. if you correct then the sugar leaves your blood to go to the liver, but then you've just added a load of insulin and then you get another hypo.

hope this helps. don't worry if you're high after having a hypo. it's quite normal for blood sugars to be a bit eratic for at least at few hours after a hypo.

Tracey69

Hi
Having a hypo and having to take glucose and carbs could give you a high reading. You will probably find that through the day it will come back to your normal range

As Cancerian was saying, I have recently been told by my nurse NEVER TO CORRECT BG AFTER A HYPO as the blood sugar will gradually come back down after the liver has replenished itself. The question that you probs would have been better asking is why did you go hypo in the morning, as it seems that is where things began to go wrong! Maybe the flu jab made your body react, leading to a slightly raised energy consumption? Don't you just love diabetes :roll:

hi i am also in agreement that the carbohydrate content you had at lunch was high,not a critisism at all, have you thought about recording a food diary and assessing your glucose levels with this :D

Did you do anything fun on that day? If you get exited then your sugar levels can change. I also know that from experiance. Or some days my sugar levels just rise and or drop randomly, maybe this is what happened to you. Just an idea.

bella1974uk

I agree with cancerian87. I often get "rebounds" after a hypo due to liver dumping out glucose and it normally takes a good few hours to come back down to "normal". I would never correct a high after a hypo- This just leads to a vicious circle with another hypo=liver dump=another correction=hypo etc etc. Sometimes you just have to relax and wait for the numbers to drop back to normal on their own...:)