Pump and DAFNE

cyrryan

Hi all,

I am on injections and am inquiring about pump use. I have been yold by my hospital that one must complete the DAFNE programme in order to use pump theraphy.
The DAFNE program is run 4 times a year and is over booked. I have been told I will possibly have to wait a year!
I am not happy with this as I would like to use pump. My HBA1C is currently 9.2.

Any advise would be very grateful.

Caoireall.

sugar2

Persistance!

There is an online DAFNE course that you can do...maybe they would accept this?

Different clinics seem to have different rules though. My clinic said I had to be able to carb count and adjust insulin....but there were no courses run by teh hospital. I got a 1.2 apppointment with teh dietician instead.

jopar

Your clinic is playing a fast one, and implentmenting an unfair stalling tactic, as there is not mention in the NICE guide lines that say's you have to attended DAFNE or any carb counting cause, it just mentions other methods of control should have be used...

Get hold of INPUT and they will be able to advise you about your best move, it may be that you be better moving to another clinic that is more proactive with pumps (INPUT will be able to tell you pump friendly clinic and consultants in your area)

They will also be able to advise about case, even provide support as a voice for you in a case if necessary...

If a consultant agrees that you require an insulin pump, then the PCT have the legal oblication to provide the necessary funding, and a legal oblication not to stall funding preventing you access to pump therapy..

Keep at them, and if they aren't complying with NICE guidelines, tell them they are acting ilegally etc, get your MP involved and your local paper if necessary, keep fighting them and you will get your pump..

Dollyrocker

I was aso told that but the dsn agreed that if I could prove I understand and can effectively utilise carb counting then that would be sufficient.

Do the bdec online course, that will help and ask for a consultation with acdieticien so they can assess you

shedges

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I completed carb counting sessions with my support nurse at the hospital. Once she was happy that I'm using the principles properly and I still hadn't managed to improve my levels, that was when they made the decision to put me forward for a pump.

Other people I know have had to fight a lot longer and harder for theirs. I'd say an understanding of carb counting is a minimum for being able to use a pump and the complexity that comes with it.

Sam.

cyrryan

Hi
Thanks for all your replies. I forgot to mention that I live in ireland, so this maybe a better explanation about my predicament. I had thought of moving to the U.K and examining the possibility of obtaining a pump. This is a big decision for me but maybe I will.