Pioglitazone

hybrid

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Not sure whether or not I spelt it correctly but 4 months ago my Diabetes Doctor sent me for an ECG with regards to trying this drug but warned me of possible side effcts that I must pay attention to Oedema - swelling in the legs which after takingit for less than 1 week I got , my legs blew up like balloons & so I rang the team & was immediately taken off the Drug unfortunately it was no use to me ! I also have problems with Glucophage SR but have gone back on them as the lesser of 2 evils , my levels have dropped considerably since I started eating wholemeal bread & cutting out Bananas , then again I eat no fruit at all now as when I do my sugars rise , the brown bread gives me non-stop huccups & heartburn , so I have gone back onto uncut white .

mehdave

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rubbish doctors who dont listen. Unclean hospitals
Had the same problems with Actos at the higher doses so been dropped off it aswell and there looking at alternatives. Might finally be getting victoza next month 8) There is plenty alternatives out there same goes for your Glucophage ask your doctor about it. I wouldnt put up with side effects when others can be tried. I Got Diamicron MR (modified Gliclizide) instead of the Glucophage MR (modified metformin)

mrssmurf2

Hi

I was diagnosed in June and had constant high BS. (20-25mmol) The doc prescribed two 500mg a day metformin and it wasnt coming down. He put me on Pioglitazone and they were still at 12 - 14mmol. He increased the dosage to a higher one 30mg and now my BS has come down which is good but I think I keep Hypoing?
Can you have a hypo when you BS is at 5mmol cos I felt rotten and I didnt realise it was a hypo cos my blood sugars were cintantly high.

HLW

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
mrssmurf look up 'false hypoglycaemia', it might be that, it's where your blood sugar has been high for a while, and then when it drops to normal levels your body panics because it's used to high levels, so thinks you have too low blood sugar even though the level is ok. Do calibrate your meter though, so you can make sure you blood sugar is not too low.

DogPsyche

OK so this is the third drug I've been prescribed that has subsequently been banned due to research indicating serious health issues. What the hell is going on? Don't pharmaceutical companies test before manufacture any more?