Sugar-free chocolate?

danfish2

Hi, y'all
Had my first hangover since being diagnosed (whoops!!) so went for my favourite cure which is a botlle of Coke (oh, no! sugar!!), but chose the Coke Zero brand (not bad, and did the trick...).
What I'd like to ask is are there any sugar-free chocolate brands? There are masses of low sugar/diet/slimeline drinks on the shelves but no chocolate!!??
I've found some on the interweb, but are manufacturers missing a trick? What about cakes, biscuits, sweets, etc.?
I don't have a very sweet tooth but like the odd treat.
Any help?

Dan:eek:)

Cowboyjim

Hi fishy one.. surprised no one has replied yet... hot (chocolate) topic.. ho ho double puns galore.. suffice to say it ain't straightforward coz it's not just the obvious sugar, there's lactose in there too... best to try stuff out and measure with your meter. Probably OK to have a small amount of what you like rather than forking out for the expensive muck that's out there. Dark choc is supposed to be better if you like it. I nosh the odd chunk with some nuts to lower the assault. Also watch out for the laxative effect with some brands.
We also deserve a treat so keep some in your hair shirt pocket. 8)

sue32

Dislikes
false people
Dan!!!! Have found just the thing for you!!!! Sainsbury's do a sugar free dark chocolate 70% cocoa!!! I think it's divine, but I think all chocolate is divine!! The label shows it has very little sugar in it. They also do a sugar free milk chocolate but that has an amber warning; must be the extra milkiness!! Give it a go, it's a lifesaver for me!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eiche

Dislikes
Not being able to satisfy my craving for chocolate LOL
Boots sell some diabetic chocolate (haven't tried it yet) and also some No added sugar diabetic boiled sweets which I think are DELICIOUS and satisfy my sweet cravings very well. Only thing is, don't get carried away with these diabetic sweets and chocolate and so on as they can act as a laxative if you eat too much... As for cookies and cake, I haven't found any sugar free ones, but I would say if you keep it to a minimum, you can have some digestive bisquits or rich tea ones. Just make sure that you are not inactive (do your exercise!) when you indulge in a sugary treat and keep an eye on your glucose level. My daughter had her birthday on halloween and I ate a piece of her birthday cake without any problems afterwards.

As I always say, if you stay active,
even us diabetics can enjoy a naughty treat....
Just don't go overboard! :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Lidl do a dark, whole nut chocolate which is pure heaven. A single square is satisfying and has few carbs. Probably only pure cocoa powder is zero carb. and some of the chocolate drinks that you just mix with water, are pretty low.
I think all brands of milk chocolate tend to be sugary. the "Diabetic Chocolates" contain polyols, which have a tendency to cause upset stomachs. and unless yyou allow for that are probably best avoided.
TRTry "Low Carb Megastore" or "Avidlite" websites for other suggestions
Hana

Cowboyjim

What kind of nuts? Peanut choccies used to be my fave but we all know those "nuts" are maybe not so good for us.
We got some from Tesco that is 74% cocoa ivory coast plain choc...two squares give you 6.6g carbs. The 100 g bar is 33g, of which 27g is sugar.... you takes your choice...8)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Aldi do a very nice dark chocolate too (85% cocoa) and is very low-carb at 4g per bar (5 in a pack).

Nigel

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi all choc lovers,
I love chocolate and have perfected the way to satisfy the cravings TA DA :)
Buy good quality 81-90 dark choc then if you melt just one square at a time .I do mine in micro.
With this you can beat in double cream to make mousse( I use Jersey cream cos I am trying to put weight on.)or you can add hazelnuts ,or strawberries in fact you can coat more or less anything in the melted choc .Chocolate coated peanuts Yummy and you know there are no added nasties.
By the way I only do one square at a time because I cant be trusted not to scoff the lot if I make more
CAROL

bedshaped2000

hi nigel
how do you find your readings after this aldi chocolate. i have a bar of this every day as a snack between meals. but i have noticed i get a headache with in half an hour of eating and my blood sugars plumit. only result i can find is the fat and saturated fat that is in the bar. The same bar with a cup of coffee keeps sugars level 1 and 2 hours after eating. just thought id ask if you have had the same thing. because the levels stayed normal i tried two bars which is the same as 4 squares of the lindt stuff. wont be doing that again :D I have also found that tesco do a own brand of 85% cocoa chocolate at 85p a bar but it is very addictive and isnt as bitter as the aldi one. i find because the aldi ones are in seperate bars you feel normal like everyone else eating bars. with the bars that you break off bits you always seem to have just one more square.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bedshaped2000 said:
hi nigel
how do you find your readings after this aldi chocolate. i have a bar of this every day as a snack between meals. but i have noticed i get a headache with in half an hour of eating and my blood sugars plumit. only result i can find is the fat and saturated fat that is in the bar. The same bar with a cup of coffee keeps sugars level 1 and 2 hours after eating. just thought id ask if you have had the same thing. because the levels stayed normal i tried two bars which is the same as 4 squares of the lindt stuff. wont be doing that again :D I have also found that tesco do a own brand of 85% cocoa chocolate at 85p a bar but it is very addictive and isnt as bitter as the aldi one. i find because the aldi ones are in seperate bars you feel normal like everyone else eating bars. with the bars that you break off bits you always seem to have just one more square.

In all honesty bedshaped I stopped eating dark chocolate 4 months ago due to cutting out caffeine in my diet, but prior to that I would only eat a small bar of Aldi's chocolate twice a week and it never affected my bg or give me a headache.

Possibly the high cocoa content doesn't agree with you hence why you are experiencing headaches, perhaps its worth switching brands to a lower cocoa content (beware of the carbs) and see if this helps any, if not I would give it up as any treat isn't worth suffering headaches for.

Nigel

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
carty said:
Hi all choc lovers,
I love chocolate and have perfected the way to satisfy the cravings TA DA
Buy good quality 81-90 dark choc then if you melt just one square at a time .I do mine in micro.
With this you can beat in double cream to make mousse( I use Jersey cream cos I am trying to put weight on.)

This is really yummy and satisfying - I make this a lot when I have visitors and they all love it - I put it in little fancy pots and it looks and tastes very decadent :evil: - BUT if you are like me and not Carty and need to lose weight (I am not jealous at all here Carty - much :lol: ) you can use half fat creme fresh - it is a little less "sweet" but not having a sweet tooth I seem to prefer the creme fresh

A note about the headaches bedshaped - chocolate is well noted for causing migraines and headaches - my hubby is a 90% choc fiend (non diabetic) - but can only have one small square and has to have it with a meal - otherwise he is knocked off his feet with migraine - needless to say he now has it only as a very very occasional treat (usually in my mousse)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
bedshaped2000 said:
it only seems to be this brand nigel the 90% lindt stuff doesnt do it but that is so bitter.

Best to avoid it all-together then bedshaped, as I said earlier no treat is worth it if they are causing headaches such as you have experienced.

Nigel

misswonky

you can buy diabetic friendly cholate from Boots but these are expensive and veteran diabetics will tell you too many will have a laxative effect. what i do is buy a small box of thorntons and eat 2 chocs with a scoop of Helsett organic ice cream on a Friday which is my treat day. my GP says a weekly treat wont hurt. Special diabetic foods are a ripoff and no benefit.

steve_sandy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
diabetic chocolate is made for the gullible as it is not cheap, the sweetener is a laxative, sorbitol i recall, much better to get the 85% cocoa solids chocolate, seen some at 90%, so by default not a lot of sugar :) plus the intense taste means a couple of squares have the same sort of flavour as the dairy milk pap has :)

AlcalaBob

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorbitol is one of those sweeteners that is actually a carbohydrate but provides 2.6 kcal/g rather than 4 kcal/g of typical carbohydrate. That means it provides 65% the same carbohydrate hit has any other carbohydrate and that means glucose at the end of the day.

So when I see sorbitol mentioned as a sugar substitute in foods, I always think it's a bit dishonest. Here in Spain we have "sugar-free" chocolate advertised which has sorbitol in it, and the phrase "no added sugar". Having checked the effect it has on my BG, I've found it packs quite a wallop, whatever it claims about sugar free.

I suppose you just have to do the experiment and check what the effect is after an hour. I now don't trust sweeteners at all, at least until I have my figures down to under 6. I used to think that the odd treat wouldn't do much harm but then I started to measure the BG levels and it was pretty sobering.

jaykay

My friend swears by xylitol but it's **** expensive and gives me a wobbly tummy. Like most things it seems to be a case of what each individual can bear/live with/enjoy.

carnabychick

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I've just discovered Morrisons 'The Best' 85% chocolate and its really nice and even better my other half who is a total chocaholic don't like cos it tastes too bitter :mrgreen: Also find that just couple of squares is enough to be satisfied !!

Shirl

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have just been browsing the Hotel Chocolat website - wow some serious chocolate on there! a bit pricey but if someone is going to treat you at Christmas then there is some lovely stuff - they do a 100% bar so have alerted hubby - they have some nice little sticks of dark chocolate too.

I can go without chocolate but if you are a chocoholic stay on the dark choc pages only - the other pages will just make you weep :mrgreen:

k9kitty

Agree with miswonky. sugar free can be expensive and laxative.I think the whole sugar free market taps into peoples insecurites. My GP said a weekly treat is ok, and choc wise to stick to two squares of dark choc. The Sainsbury's dark non sugar choc is nice though and not too expensive. I too have a scoop of cornish ice cream as a treat but try to balance my carb intake if I do indulge. I find Montezuma's dark choc bars divine, yes they have sugar but it's not the first thing listed in the ingredients which is the cocoa content.