Do you people get all your diabetes stuff for nothing?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Here is a link to WHO statistics on health expenditure as a percentage of GDP: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.XPD.TOTL.ZS

A few examples:

UK: 9.1%
USA 17.1%
Canada: 10.4
Euro zone: 10.4
That's been true for a long time. And our stats on healthcare items such as infant mortality, longevity, the usual suspects, rank the US maybe 10th or so. The funny thing is that the US is regarded as the best place to get medical training of all types, and the majority of those trained remain here. So the way I figure the reason for our high prices and low quality of care is the insurance system. I wonder how Medicare stacks up vs other countries for elderly persons' healthcare.

ringi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
It may be that the medical training is ranked highly in the USA based on what people who have done it can earn, not based on outcomes...... (The best doctors stop people getting sick rather then fixing complex problems that could have been prevented.)

Is the USA still behind North Korea on childhood healthcare and prevention?

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It may be that the medical training is ranked highly in the USA based on what people who have done it can earn, not based on outcomes...... (The best doctors stop people getting sick rather then fixing complex problems that could have been prevented.)

Is the USA still behind North Korea on childhood healthcare and prevention?
Don't know about N. Korea (I wouldn't trust any stats coming out of there lol). No, the US gets trainees from all over the world, a lot from India specifically. Yeah they can earn a lot here so many stay, we need doctors for sure. When the baby boomers (like me) retire there will be a shortage in a lot of places especially more rural areas. I think the poor outcomes is skewed by poor people's access to medical care especially in the South where hospitals are closing now. African Americans don't live nearly as long here, in fact they may slowly be dying off as a minority.

busydiabeticmum

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think the poor outcomes is skewed by poor people's access to medical care especially in the South where hospitals are closing now. African Americans don't live nearly as long here, in fact they may slowly be dying off as a minority.
Sad to think they were brought over by force as slaves, the country was built off of their backs and now they are thrown aside and yet still America claim to be "land of the free" and give "equality" to all!
The u.s media have lied to the citizens about how the rest of the world view them... but then Britain, France and Spain have done way worse (though America technically is a by product of British historical colonisation)... the echo of our pasts live on and we wonder why everyone hates us!:( such a shame!

Bunnyluv_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Don't know about N. Korea (I wouldn't trust any stats coming out of there lol). No, the US gets trainees from all over the world, a lot from India specifically. Yeah they can earn a lot here so many stay, we need doctors for sure. When the baby boomers (like me) retire there will be a shortage in a lot of places especially more rural areas. I think the poor outcomes is skewed by poor people's access to medical care especially in the South where hospitals are closing now. African Americans don't live nearly as long here, in fact they may slowly be dying off as a minority.

I am new to this forum and amazed that this astonishingly racist comment hasn't been deleted. Seriously? "They may be slowly dying off as a minority". Oh and I live in the South.

Bunnyluv_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sad to think they were brought over by force as slaves, the country was built off of their backs and now they are thrown aside and yet still America claim to be "land of the free" and give "equality" to all!
The u.s media have lied to the citizens about how the rest of the world view them... but then Britain, France and Spain have done way worse (though America technically is a by product of British historical colonisation)... the echo of our pasts live on and we wonder why everyone hates us!:( such a shame!

They?! Is this the whitest forum in the world?!

Bluey1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who try and make Diabetes the centre of the party and poor me, I'm special because I have diabetes now everyone run around after me.
Sorry Diabetes is colour blind. Stop turning this forum into something other than what it was designed for and up until now has only been used for D. The only politics we care about here is the impact of decisions on Diabetic support / care.

The behaviour here looks like people are having a Hypo. Take a jelly bean and calm down
The moderators here are top shelf or I would suggest a rating of 5 (mmol/L). There was another D forum that collapsed because the moderators were power crazy etc. I assist with an unrelated Tech forum and moderating is much harder than you think.

TheBigNewt

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am new to this forum and amazed that this astonishingly racist comment hasn't been deleted. Seriously? "They may be slowly dying off as a minority". Oh and I live in the South.
I think that is a true epidemiological statistic. Blacks are not living as long and are having fewer children here. They are about 14% of the US population, it was increasing for quite a while but I think it's either leveled off or declining. Not a racist comment at all.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Bunnyluv_ ,

Welcome to the forum.

First & formost, we are a global comunity.

The topic of this thread was initially started by an American citizen enquiring about the National health system in the UK.
During the course of this subject there have been comparisons with the US health care & other parts of the world. But at the centre of the discussion the primary concerns & experiences have been regarding diabetes health care..

Please feel free to peruse our forum ethos rules. In particular section C12.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/community-ethos-forum-rules.50278/

We at DCUK take any form of discrimination very seriously..

Kind regards on behalf of the moderator team.

J> in the UK.