How to test a new meter?

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I should get my first meter tomorrow. Should I take 2 or 3 readings straight away to make sure I get similar values?

D

Deleted member 308541

I should get my first meter tomorrow. Should I take 2 or 3 readings straight away to make sure I get similar values?
You can do that if you have plenty of strips to test with.

I have tested my meters against one another when I have got a new one, and they have been near enough close enough for me.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks. I was not told what my numbers were. I want to test over Christmas.

sunnybouy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
So many variables of when to test, ie before walks, after walks, with metformin without it.
Once you see results, it will help with forming good routines.

If I take a 500mg tablet before a half hour walk, my levels will drop to 5.2 from 6.5

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only

I wouldn't do this. You are wasting strips. It is best to be organised with your testing, have a consistent routine, record everything, and most importantly you need to decide why you want to test and what you hope to learn from it. Unless you learn from it, again, you are wasting your time.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I do curves for my diabetic dog on a regular basis.

I have ordered extra strips because I need to test foods on an individual basis to see the effect on my BG.

The information won't be any good unless the meter is pretty accurate. I have heard of people getting wildly different readings from a faulty meter.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
So many variables of when to test, ie before walks, after walks, with metformin without it.
Once you see results, it will help with forming good routines.

If I take a 500mg tablet before a half hour walk, my levels will drop to 5.2 from 6.5

Metformin is not likely to have this kind of effect on bg. It is likely that the walking itself affects your bg. Metformin is precribed to help the liver, it takes a while to build up in the body and should be taken at the dosage and times prescribed.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I do curves for my diabetic dog on a regular basis.

I have ordered extra strips because I need to test foods on an individual basis to see the effect on my BG.

The information won't be any good unless the meter is pretty accurate. I have heard of people getting wildly different readings from a faulty meter.

All brands of meters have to pass the same accuracy standards before they can be marketed. This is basically plus or minus 15% of the true value. No meter is absolutely accurate, and unless you have to inject insulin according to what your levels are, accuracy doesn't matter too much. All we are doing is looking for trends. I know it isn't good enough, but I'm afraid it is all we have.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you, that is useful information. I know the meters won't be as accurate as lab results, yes I am looking for trends and also foods that cause spikes.

I won't be on insulin, they will give me a tablet starting the middle of January. I also have high blood pressure which was only recently diagnosed.

Information/advice pretty much non existent at my surgery.

Caz_B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
To check my meter is working i check someone ie my sin who is not diabetic....my son gets a reading if 5 so if his is still around this figure i know it is working correctly x

Reactions: xfieldok