Accuchek meter spoils tests, possible fix

sunnybouy77

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Noticed too many spoiled test due to not enough blood getting on the test strip, so clipped tabs off to improve sampling
_20180209_174857.JPG
_20180209_174738.JPG

Emily95

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Omg thank you!! I emailed them because I was SO annoyed with these new plastic tabs!! Took me 4 attempts to test the other day! I was crying by the end because my finger hurt so much!!

Reactions: Tom.thomas61

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Now oddly.. I nearly posted a thread when I noticed this new tab design on the cartriges too?

I normally draw a big bead of blood & touch the blood bead top to the strip? (As per instructions talking to Roche when ordering a couple of years back..)
This was tricky under certain circumstances. (Low,light.) the trick is keep the meter upright & allow capillary action of the ribbon to draw blood in..?

The new tabs work for me..! They act as a distance guide, so as not to catch my skin on the ribbon. Just the blood. Thus not fouling a test.
I had less reliability before the tabs?

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hate the tabs. I was thinking of emailing them to tell them how difficult they are. I have spoiled a few, and with some I just can't make the blood reach the strip so have to prick another finger and try again. I really cannot see the point, and they are not an improvement.

Reactions: Emily95

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
There alway always seemed a knack with this idevidual cassette design anyway.? The key was a good sized bead of blood.
As opposed to strips that are set up for minimal amounts of blood letting.

Ironically the new "tabs" must have been thought up as a simple "solution" to previous fouled tests due to not enough blood..

Of course, this is just my personal take on it..

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
There alway always seemed a knack with this idevidual cassette design anyway.? The key was a good sized bead of blood.
As opposed to strips that are set up for minimal amounts of blood letting.

Ironically the new "tabs" must have been thought up as a simple "solution" to previous fouled tests due to not enough blood..

Of course, this is just my personal take on it..

I rarely manage a good sized drop of blood. I struggle with this, but I have used the Accu Chek Mobile for 4 years and never had a problem getting enough on the strip. I hardly had any failed tests despite a tiny drop of blood. I agree though that there is a particular knack to using them, and this knack doesn't work with the tabs!

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I rarely manage a good sized drop of blood. I struggle with this, but I have used the Accu Chek Mobile for 4 years and never had a problem getting enough on the strip. I hardly had any failed tests despite a tiny drop of blood. I agree though that there is a particular knack to using them, and this knack doesn't work with the tabs!

I agree the tabs are not a solution for those who have an issue with a substantial amount of blood.
Just looking at the actual meter.. Maybe an adjustable tab or stopper on the meter itself for individual preference?

Personally. I've given too much blood, frequently needing to cleans the meter lens with a lint free cloth in order to stop any errors..?

It's certainly a "Marmite" thing with the new design...

Reactions: Bluetit1802

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Tabs were too high, not letting test strip contact with surface of finger

I'm a guy with an extensive tool kit myself.. :D

But for anyone having issue with the new "tabs"? Draw the bead of blood, straddle the blood bead with the tabs, then push the droplet to the tape until "egg timer" appears on the meter screen.. Then withdraw finger!

I feel it was a modification to avoid blood overload , lens fouling incidents? ;)