When to have HBA1C test

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have only had one done back in late Nov resulting in diagnosis. It was 53. I am to arrange quarterly appts myself to see DN and arrange an HBA1C and cholestral the week before. My next (second) one is in about 10 days at 8am. Is it necessary to fast and best to have it done first thing in morning. Thanks in advance for any clarification.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Cholesterol should be a fasting test. For hba1c it doesn't make a difference if you've eaten or not.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
Fingers crossed for you though I am sure you will get a pleasant result. As antje has said, it is better to fast for 8-12 hours before a full lipid panel and remember if you can to get a printout of all your results (you may be able to see your results online so save a copy). It is not necessary to fast for the HbA1c as this is a calculation of the average over about 12 weeks. Good luck.

PenguinMum

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks both and Guzzler for the good wishes also. Without your input I would be lost...so much to find out. The forum is like the University of Diabetes lol. X

Reactions: ziggy_w

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP surgery always make sure I have nothing to eat or drink after midnight for a morning HBA1C test. I don't have any other tests than that, or if I do, no one's ever said anything about them ;)

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP surgery always make sure I have nothing to eat or drink after midnight for a morning HBA1C test. I don't have any other tests than that, or if I do, no one's ever said anything about them ;)

This fasting request will not be for the HbA1c as it doesn't require it. It is most likely for cholesterol and lipids. I suggest you get print outs and see for yourself what you have had. Otherwise how do you know they are fine? They may be teetering on the edge of not being fine! You should have cholesterol and lipids, kidney and liver functions at the very least in addition to the HbA1c.

sally and james

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
My GP surgery always make sure I have nothing to eat or drink after midnight for a morning HBA1C test.
This is quite unnecessary, HbA1c is a measure of the proportion of your blood cells which have a glucose molecule attached to them. They do not un-attach. Old (two to three month old) blood cells die off, new ones are made to replace them. If you have less circulating glucose, fewer of the new blood cells will pick up sugars and so your HbA1c will be lower. In this way an HbA1c tells the story of the last two to three months. What you had for breakfast or last night's dinner is an irrelevance.
Sally

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've actually been looking at the wording of the letter I get, to see if I missed any insights: I think maybe they do a fasting blood test too, though again, no one has ever told me those results - just the HBAC1 ones.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I've actually been looking at the wording of the letter I get, to see if I missed any insights: I think maybe they do a fasting blood test too, though again, no one has ever told me those results - just the HBAC1 ones.

Best plan ever - get a print out!

Debzz_

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Diabetes ha ha
Fasting isn’t necessary for your HbA1c if you’re uncertain about the cholesterol part why don’t you just ring your surgery and ask ? Easy