Letter from the doctor

JimPD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Had a letter from my Doctor today that I found a bit annoying.

Had a HbA1c in January at my request as I was having a blood test for other reasons (she was reluctant but agreed to it).
Subsequent phone call (for other reasons), I asked what the HbA1c was - 'Normal' she said. I asked for the actual number. 37 she said. Nothing else and finished the call shortly after.

Letter just received stated that as my HbA1c had improved so much (it was 101 in September at diagnosis) she had asked an Endocrinologist at the local Hospital for advice. If she was at all interested enough, she could have asked me on the phone and 'Low Carb diet' would have been my answer.
I really think this shows a lack of knowledge of diabetes on her part beyond the standard dietary advice.

Anway, the upshot of the letter was that I should stop the Gliclazide straight away.
I havent taken any since November and have discussed this with the DN at the practice. You'd think they would put something in my notes.

I am just frustrated at their apparent lack of knowledge or interest. I feel like they think that I cant think for myself and am not worth entering into any discussion with.

Just 'getting it off my chest'.

Reactions: dbr10

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
That is a totally brilliant result so kudos to you. And as a result you are saving your surgery money off their drugs bill so I assume the lack of interest/enthusiasm is born of time pressure or ignorance of non pharmaceutical methods!
Perhaps you could politely draw their attention to this result (an email to the doctor with responsibility for diabetes which I am hoping is not the GP that called you!)? Dr David Unwin provides a very handy pack for any health care professionals interested in the the low carb approach; it contains interesting stats on the general improvements in HbA1c and lipids across his practice. Sadly individual practices are not rewarded for these savings so perhaps have little interest in offering alternatives.

Guzzler

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Poor grammar, bullying and drunks.
I would be spitting feathers too.

Well done on your progress btw, great work!

Brunneria

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That is a very good result. I hope you are very proud of yourself :D

Unfortunately doctors very rarely see people who make so much effort and take such control. You may be the only patient at your doc’s practice, so you probably look like a confusing aberration to them. The next thing will be them telling you it was a mis-diagnosis and you were never D...

JeremySE18

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Similar situation here but much better reaction from doctor and diabetic nurse.

Through LCHF diet my HbA1c came down from 96 at diagnosis to 34 at 6 months in. I lost 15kg and halved my Cholesterol. The doc was so pleased he stopped my Gliclazide on the spot, fearing I was at risk of hypos. The DN was equally happy and stopped my free strips and lancets :wideyed: Typical.

However I would rather my results were good than worry about the cost of 50 strips a month :happy:

Congrats on your results, you should be very pleased with yourself, have a congratulatory Rolo :)

DavidGrahamJones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Newspapers

Well done on the excellent results. My experience was totally different in that my GP warned me of BG dropping when I lowered my carbs. I didn't need telling but at the same time my GP trusted me to lower my Gliclazide in line with my lower BG. Luckily the change in BG happened within weeks.

I get the feeling that some GPs are still straight out of the last century. They certainly seem to be driven by a different set of aims, the main one being to save money, or should I say, not to spend it on anything unless essential. You're lucky to get an HbA1c on request.

britishpub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Brilliant results, well done for your hard work

I have never been on Gliclazide but I have found similar reaction from HCP’s

It is often a “computer says no” situation for them and they cannot understand how such a large and rapid improvement can be achieved.

Their automatic answer is often that there must be something else wrong, rather than the result of positive action being taken by the patient.

dbr10

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Had a letter from my Doctor today that I found a bit annoying.

Had a HbA1c in January at my request as I was having a blood test for other reasons (she was reluctant but agreed to it).
Subsequent phone call (for other reasons), I asked what the HbA1c was - 'Normal' she said. I asked for the actual number. 37 she said. Nothing else and finished the call shortly after.

Letter just received stated that as my HbA1c had improved so much (it was 101 in September at diagnosis) she had asked an Endocrinologist at the local Hospital for advice. If she was at all interested enough, she could have asked me on the phone and 'Low Carb diet' would have been my answer.
I really think this shows a lack of knowledge of diabetes on her part beyond the standard dietary advice.

Anway, the upshot of the letter was that I should stop the Gliclazide straight away.
I havent taken any since November and have discussed this with the DN at the practice. You'd think they would put something in my notes.

I am just frustrated at their apparent lack of knowledge or interest. I feel like they think that I cant think for myself and am not worth entering into any discussion with.

Good for you. Annoying.

Phoenix55

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Brilliant results. :)Drop your GP and DN an email that you are concerned that your notes do not seem to be up to date as you have not been taking Gliclazide for several months, (let them check for exactly how long!) and that you hope that your 'normal' HbA1c has been recorded with the change properly attributed to diet and exercise.:angelic: In my experience it is unlikely that you will get all that you want but you will get some. It doesn't change the fact that you took hold of a situation and did something about it yourself, so well done.:):)