Sleep - or lack of...

bonerp

Hi
I've not been sleeping too well of late. For the last week or so I have had difficulty getting to sleep, staying asleep and getting back to sleep when awaking during the night.

I am not stressed. Not thinking about anything in particular. Exercise is similar to normal.

Phoned docs and triage nurse suggested I try some night nurse...gee thanks. I did. And it didnt work! Have also tried some Kalms one a night, but had weird dreams in the hour or so I slept.

I am now in severe need of some kip....

My BGs are pretty stable too. Can't see what the problem is...

Any tips/old wives tales for achieving a good nights sleep appreciated.

Paul

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya paul,
my sleeping has gone a tad erratic too,
i find a long hot bath before bed and reading for a hr or so helps me get to sleep, although im usually awake again a few hrs later :?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Often I find I cannot sleep when I am worrying about something, but as you say you are trouble free bonerp it may be worth speaking to the doctor yourself. It might sound silly but is your bed and your pillows comfortable? as daft as it may seem but if you are not comfortable in bed then your chances of getting off to sleep and having a disturbed sleep are greatly increased (don't worry I'm not going to sell you a bed :lol:) so this may be worth looking at too.

Nigel

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I agree with Nigel about the bed .I was having a bit of a a problem with tossing about in the night when I bought some new Egyptian cotton sheets and pillowcases ,purely by chance .I found I slept much better .You could also try lavender oil sprinkled on a handkerchief under your pillow .
CAROL

diabetic_tigs

I had sleep problems about a year ago, i would be staying awake until about 4 am and then waking up after about 30 mins of sleep. I found a nice relaxing bath worked wonders, with radox bubble bath - they do some that are designed to relax you, and they dont smell too girly either :) My dr advised not watching tv or using a computer near to the time i wanted to sleep. Some people also find having relaxing music on quietly can help (Snow Patrol often lull me to sleep!).
Hope some of that helps and you get some quality shut eye time soon :)

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Try a hot milky drink or some lavender scent on your pillow. Old remedies, but safe and worth trying. They don't work for me and I hate hot milk.
Hana
PS needs to be real lavender, not synthetic
also make sure bedroom is not too warm or too cold and is properly dark and quiet.

bonerp

thanks folks.

Last night was the first decent night for 2 weeks. I woke up when the alarm went off at 6.30am woohoo.

Tried a few different things, changed mattress to a memory foam one (from a £1700 dreams mattress!!!), had some milk and a banana - they have good stuff in for sleep. Worked a treat. I also read that cherry juice contains the perfect ingredients for sleep too - so may try that if things go downhill again!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Nice one bonerp! :D

I too got a memory mattress last year and found it made a hell of a difference, although I love banana's and eat one or two a day I don't think I could eat one just before bed, however if it works for you that is all that matters! :)

Nigel

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
I love the idea of a memory foam matress - but the ball and chain won't entertain th eidea of spending that kind of money on a matress. :(

Some nights I just CANNOT switch off and go to sleep. My brain just won't shut down. I regularly check my BG before bed, and it doesn't seem to have an effect on my ability to sleep...

jaykay

Patch, we have a memory foam bed 'topper'. It cost just over £100 I think and it just sits on top of your normal mattress. I had started having sore hips in the morning and the topper has certainly stopped that. When I spoke to a salesman about it he said that you only sleep on the top 2 inches of a mattress anyway, so there was no point in paying for a mattress made completely of memory foam :)

C

catherinecherub

bonerp said:
thanks folks.

Last night was the first decent night for 2 weeks. I woke up when the alarm went off at 6.30am woohoo.

Tried a few different things, changed mattress to a memory foam one (from a £1700 dreams mattress!!!), had some milk and a banana - they have good stuff in for sleep. Worked a treat. I also read that cherry juice contains the perfect ingredients for sleep too - so may try that if things go downhill again!

Hi bonerp,
It is the tryptophan in the warm milk and banana that aids sleep,

http://vitamins.lovetoknow.com/Foods_Co ... Tryptophan

Glad you've got it sorted. :D

moonstone

Patch, you can google memory foam warehouse - I got my double for under £300 - they do those toppers too - and they delivered in 3 days. On my birthday. Best thing I EVER got for my birthday. Anyone that ever stays the night raves about it! I asked Tempur why there was such a difference in price and their answer was, wait for it, that they let you try theirs out for a certain amount of time!! Not a good enough reason to spend over £1000 more on a mattress.

I'm a teensy bit worried that I'm not allowed to have said the company name - I'm not advertising them or anything, I just got a mattress from them. Is that alright or have I broken the rules?

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
Moonstone.

No. You haven't broken any rules. You can mention most company names, there are a few that are not allowed for various reasons which we would of course delete. The only ones not allowed are clear links to sales sites. Hope that helps in future. :)

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Cheers moonstone - definitely worth checking out!

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Check out the discount TV shopping channels. They seem to have memory foam toppers at reasonable prices.I think I noticed some at my local "Dunelm Mill" recently too. I've had mine for years. Would never go back to springs
Hana

cugila

Master
Dislikes
People who are touchy.......feign indignation at the slightest thing. Hypocrites, bullies and cowards.
hanadr said:
Check out the discount TV shopping channels. They seem to have memory foam toppers at reasonable prices.I think I noticed some at my local "Dunelm Mill" recently too. I've had mine for years. Would never go back to springs
Hana

TV Shopping Channels...
Well, as they are on nearly all night long should be really good advice for an Insomniac ! :wink:

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I wonder if QVC is still on the go? when I first got Sky the wife would watched this often to try and find the 'ultimate bargain', I always laughed at how excited the presenters got over the most simplistic of appliances! :)

Nigel

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
noblehead said:
I wonder if QVC is still on the go? when I first got Sky the wife would watched this often to try and find the 'ultimate bargain', I always laughed at how excited the presenters got over the most simplistic of appliances! :)

Nigel

Yes it's still there, as are quite a few others, start at Channel 640 and keep going up !

iHs

Are all memory foam mattress toppers the same or are some better than others? I was going to get one a few months ago but OH stopped me and said that he would 'sweat buckets' on it, so was just wondering :?