Continuous Glucose Monitor

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Funkypumpers. Another company who do some fancy stuff.
Someone on the forum recently attached a libre to his upper thigh. Forgot to shave first. Ouch:woot:

I put a 7 by 8 cm Molnlycke Mepore plaster on top to keep my blucon in place.

There's been a few times I've accidentally tagged some armpit hairs with the plaster.

F***, that's sore when I'm moving about and they tug!

I was going to suggest it's almost as painful as child-birth, but I probably wouldn't get out of here alive....

therower

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I put a 7 by 8 cm Molnlycke Mepore plaster on top to keep my blucon in place.

There's been a few times I've accidentally tagged some armpit hairs with the plaster.

F***, that's sore when I'm moving about and they tug!

I was going to suggest it's almost as painful as child-birth, but I probably wouldn't get out of here alive....
There is no pain like a hair being ripped out from its root.:)
That split second.......ouch.
How and why these girls ( boys as well apparently) " pluck " there eyebrows I'll never know.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
forum bugs
I'm an ex libre user. For eight months it worked perfectly for me and it was life changing, comparable to when I first got given a blood testing meter back in the 80s. It was extremely accurate (bar the delay) and I was blissfully happy. Unfortunately I then developed a skin allergy to the sensors and along with the allergy the sensors read increasingly low, to the point where the meter would read LO all night when my blood sugar would be between 5 and 6. I am now waiting 6 months before I try my last remaining sensor but suspect the allergy and corresponding inaccuracy will still be there (sigh). Luckily I'm in a small minority and I would definitely recommend the libre for others, as long as they occasionally check with a meter to check that they're not also in that small minority.
Still contemplating a dexcom, in the meantime my fingers pay the price :) (a fairly small one though, as it's totally worth knowing what my blood sugars are.)

Scott-C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Sorry, @Ruthlavelle , we've kinda derailed your thread a bit by going into the details of "torture by armpit hair and sticking plasters" (something the FBI have obviously missed in their attempts to interrogate ISIS suspects - waterboarding is weak compared to armpit hair stuff...), so, to get it back on track:

If (a) you're able to afford cgm, either dexcom or libre/blucon/xdrip+, or (b) your ccg will fund libre (and then you pay a 100 quid to put a blucon on top), definitely go for it.

Cgm is almost like cheating. It makes T1 so much easier. You can see your bg moving in more or less real time, so instead of making massive corrections to sort a hypo or hyper after they've happened, you can see it starting to trend out of range, and then just nudge it back with 5g or 1 or 2u, no drama, no crisis.

If any half-wit asks you why you're wearing a small bit of plastic on the back of your arm, tell them that it makes your life a lot easier.

I was dx'd about 30 years ago and have always paid attention to levels for the simple reason that I'm not at all interested in going blind or losing limbs.

That's been a hard ride with strips alone, but is so much easier with cgm. If you're able to get it, get it.

poots

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for the reply guys, it's definitely food for thought. I thought that most people wore them on their arm, which is a bit too obvious for me. I'm assuming its OK to change position to stomach or bum??
I use Dexcom and you can wear it on a lot of places. They have some diagrams for great places to put it. Some examples you can put it on lower back (pretty much butt area), thighs, some people put it on their calves, stomach, etc. I’ve worn it on my stomach for a long while but prefer it on my arms and have stuck to that after trying it out. Very comfortable and great readings on the arms for me and I don’t have to worry about waistband irritating where I place the Dexcom.