35 weeks babies tummy measuring big and too much fluid

jade88

Looking for some advice! Latest growth scan showed babies tummy has got too big and am now carrying too much fluid aswell! Have to go in for weekly monitoring but agreed going to try and get me to 37/38 weeks depending on how both baby and I are coping.

I have been told I might have to be induced earlier but I’m not confident about induction being successful before 37 weeks so think I’d prefer to opt for c-section rather than have a long and tiring failed induction which ends in an emergency c-section.

Obviously would rather have natural and get little man to full term if possible but also don’t want to risk him or me!

What do you guys think? xxx

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had same problem with excess water felt I was going to burst, All ok after caesarean (second one after induction failed with my first child.) not aware of my baby having excess fluid but was 18 yers ago.

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Had both babies at 38 weeks was on insulin injections then. Concern re fast weight gain last few weeks in babies .

xkayzx

I have the same as u, but I’m 33 weeks on Sunday... had another scan today and my blood pressure was high and got protein in my urine...
Got to back in on Monday to be monitored and test my urine and blood pressure.
Been so upset this afternoon by it all but need to try and be stress free....

lindijanice

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hey @jade88 , hang in there! The big event is so close for you now!! I would agree with the CSection - having been induced with both my kids, it was a long ordeal and second babe went into distress....so a CSection is quick and babe is out in no time....yea you have to recover from surgery, but....Are you not in hospital? Guess things are a little different here in Canada...

Hey xkayz, hang in there too!! Again I am surprised that you aren't in hospital as well...Hopefully you are not trying to work with all this going on??

Both of you, do try to be as quiet as you can and prayers for successful deliveries whichever route you choose. Blessings/L

jade88

It’s so hard to know what to do for best! If I have him too early there’s higher risk of him needing special care! But if I wait too long he could become distressed!
I responded very well to induction first time and managed to birth my son natural at 38 weeks and he was 9lbs so they are confident I can wait a few more weeks and try for natural - I know it’s not guaranteed it will work but I have a toddler so having a section would not be ideal!
I feel like it’s my fault he’s measuring big and carrying extra fluid but my bloods have been quite well controlled and my hbac1 has stayed below 7 the entire pregnancy so bit miffed! xxx

Heathero

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Mine were too throughout pregnancy so don’t blame yourself. I was informed the excess water is side affect of Diabetes.I had no problem with my first baby and was managed the same. Can understand re concern with Caesar., was quite painful first couple of weeks. Hope all goes well x

jade88

My team are very supportive and will let me make my own decisions but sometimes I think it would be easier if they just made the decision for us! x

Reactions: Heathero

ealingr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
One factor to consider is that they may let you go later (potentially with increased monitoring) if you opt for a planned c-section.

If there are concerns about baby being large, then they may want to induce earlier to prevent any problems birthing him (and I expect will need to give steroids).

If opting for a c-section, they may be happy to let you go later which gives baby's lungs more time to develop. It also gives a longer window for you to go into labour naturally.