Statins and morning blood sugar levels

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi! As of today, I have stopped taking simvastatin. Wanted to know what have been your cholesterol results since you stopped taking statins besides the drop in your glucose levels. thanks
I don't have any details to hand but as far as i can remember at my last review there was very little change, e.g. overall cholesterol was around 5.1 against the 4.9 last recorded in my signature, so no significant change but I don't always get a proper detailed breakdown unfortunately.

Robbity

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh, the humour :rolleyes:
Oh dear - I couldn't help myself - this just popped into my head:

This is the tale of poor Mike D
A very strange life led he:
When he was alive
He thought he'd thrive
On cyanide
- Alas he died...

But joking aside, having read right though the huge.and horrendous poll on the side effects of statins that we had a while back, I can quite see your point.

Robbity

jcbman

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Oh dear - I couldn't help myself - this just popped into my head:

This is the tale of poor Mike D
A very strange life led he:
When he was alive
He thought he'd thrive
On cyanide
- Alas he died...

But joking aside, having read right though the huge.and horrendous poll on the side effects of statins that we had a while back, I can quite see your point.

Robbity

Can't really see it.
Before I started driving, I worked in a plating factory.

Only an eejit would reckon they could drink cyanide.
Still, as they say, choose your poison, lol.

Russell52

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I take simvistatin. I has incredibly high cholesterol levels. They are now virtually non existant. However, I didn't know they affect blood sugar. Is this fact of opinion? Thanks

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on statins for sometime and I have had various side effects from various ones. The current ones are pravastatin and they seem to have help push my blood sugars up especially on a morning. I was then told by my doctor that the statins where necessary balance. Suggesting that I took them at lunch instead of at night, but this doesn't seem to have made any difference.

I eat a healthy diet and keep myself fit, most of the time my bloods are in range during the day. I have just had my latest HBA1c back and its gone up to 60, which isn't good I know, but previously I was around 48.

So something is going wrong, has anyone else had issues with pravstatin or other statins in the past or currently

Thanks in advance

D
Pravostatins raised my Hba1c from 48 to 54 when I was taking them -other side effects were disturbed sleep and sudden onset dizziness! Since I stopped taking them about 4 years ago my Hba1c has remained in the mid 30s.