Just got a monitor and tested for first time

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
They put my cholestrol results through some 'risk generator' which came up with 42%. Apprently <10% is no risk, so I have a high risk of not making another 10 yrs. My GP suggested we hold off for a while, he has booked more blood tests for 3 months.

The formula they use is the Q-Risk. I think the NHS still uses Q-risk 2, but there has been a newer one for a while. Q-Risk 3. You can have a play yourself.

https://qrisk.org/three/

Did you get some sort of print out of your cholesterol and lipids? If not, you really need to know all these levels before making any decisions.. (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides) Excellent that your GP has suggested 3 months to get this sorted yourself. Cholesterol can be lowered with diet.

Reactions: UserABC2021

anteater2012

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
People who don't listen to others i.e. the 8 members of this forum I have put on ignore as they talk such utter **** all the time. This now includes the member who thinks they are a moderator.
right goal is max 7,7 one hour and max 5,6 after two hours - it would lead to hba1c <42.

Where are you getting this information about maximum levels from? Please can you supply a web link? Thank you.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The formula they use is the Q-Risk. I think the NHS still uses Q-risk 2, but there has been a newer one for a while. Q-Risk 3. You can have a play yourself.

https://qrisk.org/three/

Did you get some sort of print out of your cholesterol and lipids? If not, you really need to know all these levels before making any decisions.. (HDL/LDL/Triglycerides) Excellent that your GP has suggested 3 months to get this sorted yourself. Cholesterol can be lowered with diet.

Wow thanks. I didn't get a print out but did get to see them on screen. I'm sure they'd print the for me if I ask, they're very helpful. I'll start looking at cholestrol lowering diets too.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yes, probably a wrong turn of phrase there.

They put my cholestrol results through some 'risk generator' which came up with 42%. Apprently <10% is no risk, so I have a high risk of not making another 10 yrs. My GP suggested we hold off for a while, he has booked more blood tests for 3 months.

I was aware of Gliclazide and driving, I won't be out in a truck for a while and the doc explained (as you did) the need for regular monitoring, but thanks for the heads up.

Hi HarrisonK, glad you have some time to improve things re your 'q risk'score.
Hope you will see improvements in your HDL (higher is good)/triglyceride (lower is better) status (all part of the cholesterol panel so ask for the breakdown of the results) by following the good nutritional advice and using your shiny new glucometer! Taking a statin will lower 'ldl' ( the small dense particles of this get stuck in the artery walls and cause inflamation but the ldl is not all bad) BUT it isn't at all clear that this implies you will not have a heart attack. Ask the GP about the Number Needed to Treat to get a positive benefit from taking a statin (a very small number of people benefit unless they have diagnosed cardiovascular disease) and consider the side effects that are possible.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi HarrisonK, glad you have some time to improve things re your 'q risk'score.
Hope you will see improvements in your HDL (higher is good)/triglyceride (lower is better) status (all part of the cholesterol panel so ask for the breakdown of the results) by following the good nutritional advice and using your shiny new glucometer! Taking a statin will lower 'ldl' ( the small dense particles of this get stuck in the artery walls and cause inflamation but the ldl is not all bad) BUT it isn't at all clear that this implies you will not have a heart attack. Ask the GP about the Number Needed to Treat to get a positive benefit from taking a statin (a very small number of people benefit unless they have diagnosed cardiovascular disease) and consider the side effects that are possible.

Thanks Nicole, that's a whole pack of information. Something for me to research up on over the weekened. I guess I have to take into consideration my COPD and Emphysema.

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
No 5,6 max is not the right number. Even healthy non diabetics go above that.
All medical guidelines dont go that low.
My latest A1C is 35 and I still can go to BG 7 with certain green vegetables.

Here my graph: low line is 3,9 high is 7,7. Yes, it takes me long time to get here.
IMG_1520449709.634343.jpg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As you said, she is a beginner, her very first test, and that was a random test because you have no idea what she was before she ate, nor what she ate.
5.6mmol/l at 2 hours is not a realistic target for a complete beginner. It isn't realistic for most of us. She must set her own targets and has been advised to look at any rise from before to after and concentrate on getting that down. The rest will follow, and when it does she can re-set her targets. Poor girl has to learn to walk before she climbs Everest.

Awww bless your heart, thank you for all your help, I had a bowl of coco pops for breakfast with skimmed milk then took my Metformin with some orange squash which was 0.3 no added sugar. My reading before tea tonight was 5.7 xx

Reactions: rom35

Hotpepper20000

Here my graph: low line is 3,9 high is 7,7. Yes, it takes me long time to get here.View attachment 25573
I didn’t say that for some those numbers are not possible and good goal. My objection was that for new people it can be daunting.
Good for you,but remember not everyone can, or wishes to have such tight control.
Im am very happy with my healthy way of eating and have found as long as I am below 7 after two hours I feel great and all my numbers are good.

Reactions: phaedree and rom35

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I didn’t say that for some those numbers are not possible and good goal. My objection was that for new people it can be daunting.
Good for you,but remember not everyone can, or wishes to have such tight control.
Im am very happy with my healthy way of eating and have found as long as I am below 7 after two hours I feel great and all my numbers are good.

Agreed. T2D is all about self controlling.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Wow thanks. I didn't get a print out but did get to see them on screen. I'm sure they'd print the for me if I ask, they're very helpful. I'll start looking at cholestrol lowering diets too.

Just be careful not to be conned with the supposedly healthy cholesterol lowering spreads and drinks.

Foods with omega 3 are good. These include salmon and other oily fish, flaxseed, chia seeds, walnuts and some other nuts. For increasing the good cholesterol (HDL) it is necessary to cut the carbs.

There is a wealth of information on the threads on this forum about cholesterol, statins, and what to look out for. You could use the search box to find these.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Just be careful not to be conned with the supposedly healthy cholesterol lowering spreads and drinks.

Foods with omega 3 are good. These include salmon and other oily fish, flaxseed, chia seeds, walnuts and some other nuts. For increasing the good cholesterol (HDL) it is necessary to cut the carbs.

There is a wealth of information on the threads on this forum about cholesterol, statins, and what to look out for. You could use the search box to find these.

Thank you, this site is definitely my 'go-to' place for info. Some of the things you've listed are already favourites of mine, so the change won't be too painful.

Reactions: Bluetit1802

rom35

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you, this site is definitely my 'go-to' place for info. Some of the things you've listed are already favourites of mine, so the change won't be too painful.

Just my expiriens: I also had the “cholesterol” issue. Without any direct solving of “cholesterol” issue I solved it by solving the diabetes issue. LCHF solves for me both problems ...